Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris SLT 750 -- Ocean Pro Intake Grate??

Anyone have one of these? Is there any performance gain?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Most of us on here use the R&D aquavane for the SL 650 or the SLX PRO 785 version of it.

You're more than welcome to try the OP grate and let us know what you think.

I know they can be had for around $40 on Ebay. Not a bad price.

This is an SLT 3 seater though, are the intake grates compatible?

Performance wise what will this do to acceleration, top speed, and handling?

Also looking to get a ride plate and a different impeller for more top end.

all the grates are compatible , no hurricanes or genisis grates will fit your craft ,

the ocean pro grate looks like a top speed grate , its not as aggressive it only has one scooping ledge at the end and no ledges in the middle for extra bite like most after markets ,

most grates are for keeping the pump load in rough/racing conditions

i see that ocean pro grate on ebay for 40 $ shipped but it looks like i could easily modify a stock grate for the same result

if your looking for top speed keep the stock grate or buy the op grate , but if you ride in rough water i would buy 1 of the grate kevin stated

there are not many ride plates for the 3 seaters , the batwing can still be bought through polaris at 159 + shipping and the ocean pro ride plate can be bought off ebay for 179.99 + shipping

used plates are cheap but are far and few between

changing your wheel with out making any engine performance modifications will not give you a desired affect

+1
    That's fine, most still run them. They are interchangeable, except for the octane. (stand up)

Intake grate won't do squat for acceleration. Depending how aggressive the intake is, they can affect top speed. The R&D I spoke of doesn't seem to bother top speed much, if any. They can also improve handling by keeping the ski planted in the water better than the stocker.

Not many options for the SLT 750 as far as ride plates go. And if you plan on riding 3 people alot or pulling a tube with it, I wouldn't get an impeller for more top speed. You may end up lugging the engine and causing damage.

Whate are you looking to get from this ski?

What type of water will you ride on normally?

Do you plan on riding 2 or 3 pepole alot?

Well I currently have an SL 750 and my father has an SLT 750 and I must say that I really like the SLT hull alot more. Acceleration between the two skis is almost identical, I can edge out about an extra 5mph top end on him with the trim all the way up, but that's only under "ideal conditions". In fact, when we ride together I'm usually trying to catch up to him as the SLT is far superior in the rough. The SL does have an OP rideplate which does wonders for carving and riding through light chop, but not big swells!

Anyhow, I've decided to upgrade to an SLT. I bought one with a blown motor (cracked piston, scarred cylinder) that I'm in the process of rebuilding and I'd like to throw on some low budget performance parts. A high compression head sounds nice but I'm skeptical that will only promote additional piston failure. Both ski's already have dual carb feeds, high output oil pumps and upgraded fuel lines and this ski one will get that too.

I usually ride in lake Michigan, Illinois river, and make occasional trips to the gulf of Mexico. The ski will rarely be used with two people and I don't have any intention of riding with 3 people or towing.

All in all I'm just trying to squeeze a little extra performance out of the ski and have some fun with it. I have a set of reed valve spacers that have never been installed. Would these yield any gains with stock valves? Does porting yield any big gains? Any other worthwhile cost effective mods?

As for the aftermarket intake grates, I thought I remember hearing that they help with acceleration (especially hole shot) because they force more water into the jet pump and at higher velocities. Kinda seems logical but I could be very wrong.

Thanks for all the help guys

+1
    Thanks for that background. Now we can help you a bit better.

SLT will benefit from more HP. Maybe consider a 780 (92+ HP) top end VS. rebuilding the 750 (80 HP).

Hi compression heads heads will add acceleration, and won't be potentionally harmful if clearanced properly.

Consider a Jetworks valve ($40) for a slightly better holeshot.

The reed spacers will add a little midrange punch, but more importantly will help the reed petals last longer. (they remove the reeds from the path of strong, turbulant air created by the crankshaft)

A lightweight flywheel will help acceleration.

Better flame arrestors will also yield slightly higher top speed VS. stock.

Since you don't plan on riding 2 people too much, and no tubing, then I would go with a slightly steeper pitched impeller. Which one depends on the amount of engine mods you do.

Porting will greatly enhance the power output, but bigger displacement will always work too.

Intake grates won't force more water into the jet pump. They will help keep the pump filled. Stock works great for flat water, but a scoop type will help keep the pump loaded in choppy wate. Will also keep the ski "planted" better.

i suggest searching for a used batwing or ocean pro ride plate or buy em new for 130-180 $ from retail sites

maybe even go towards adjust a thrust

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone1050 View Post
    i suggest searching for a used batwing or ocean pro ride plate or buy em new for 130-180 $ from retail sites

maybe even go towards adjust a thrust
    There aren't many options available for the 94-95 SLT 750. I never even knew there was an Ocean Pro plate for it, until Al just mentioned he HAS one....

i think beer dart has one as well , lake city plate i think

are the 94 & 95s the same ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information