Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what safety equipment is required

We got stopped a couple times sunday and luckily noone asked for my equipment.....what equipment am I required to have on board...I know I need a fire extinguisher for both skis....but what else do I need to carry...registration, whistle??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyc1423 View Post
    We got stopped a couple times sunday and luckily noone asked for my equipment.....what equipment am I required to have on board...I know I need a fire extinguisher for both skis....but what else do I need to carry...registration, whistle??
    Fire Ext
    Registration
    Whistle
    PFD (put it on when getting the boat off the trailer)

thats about it

+1
    Mud flaps are optional, for some people.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyc1423 View Post

I just looked this up as well...I think the only reason he didn't look through everybody's stuff was because Barron had pulled everything out of his ski..the full toolbox, first aid kit, flares, kitchen sink, etc. I know it saved me because I have not transferred the title on my ski yet and didn't have a whistle!

Add boater safety course to this list if you were born after 1984 or something like that.

1. Registration Card
    2. Drivers License or other State/Federal picture ID
    3. Whistle
    4. PFD USCG approved
    5. Fire Extinguisher
    6. Kill switch attached to your person

And anything else listed below that I left out AND don't forget local waterways can have their own laws

Here's the link to the laws for boating http://www.boat-ed.com/tx/tx_specifi...ts_the_law.pdf

And then of course the supplemental laws for PWC's
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/laws/pwc/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Mud flaps are optional, for some people.
    Nobody told me these were optional.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    Nobody told me these were optional.
    A pic should be posted!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I can assure you some of our fire ext. are already expired, I dont know how long they last, but I still had mine on a 1996 GSX, and the one on my XPL since 2000. I bet its expired also

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasGV View Post
    I just looked this up as well...I think the only reason he didn't look through everybody's stuff was because Barron had pulled everything out of his ski..the full toolbox, first aid kit, flares, kitchen sink, etc. /
    *chuckling* You didnt look in his ski. I'd bet there is a sink of some sort in there !

I made a copy of my DL and had it laminated. I keep it and my TPW card and some cash in a pouch in the Doo at all times. I realize its not "official" ID as its a copy but I'd hope the LEO would be OK with that.

WFO's comment about putting on the jacket is a serious one. I know a number of folks who've received tickets for launching or loading w/o a jacket actually on their bod. Anytime you and the ski are touching water, have a jacket on.

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    *chuckling* You didnt look in his ski. I'd bet there is a sink of some sort in there !

I made a copy of my DL and had it laminated. I keep it and my TPW card and some cash in a pouch in the Doo at all times. I realize its not "official" ID as its a copy but I'd hope the LEO would be OK with that.

WFO's comment about putting on the jacket is a serious one. I know a number of folks who've received tickets for launching or loading w/o a jacket actually on their bod. Anytime you and the ski are touching water, have a jacket on.
    I guess i got away with one for last year. I launched 1 of my STXs(with no jacket on) & pulled it up to the shore real close to the ramp & scampered back to the truck/trailer to move it off the ramp all while a corps park ranger was lurking around the parking lot. After i parked i noticed said ranger walk down to my ski(which my younger daughter was holding on to) & ask her some questions. I feared i had a ticket about to be issued to me & prepared for the worst! I didn't however get busted on the lack of a jacket thou. Apparently they were checking out a complaint about a RED jetski acting a fool & causing alot of waves right next to a cordoned off swim area in a NO WAKE ZONE. Guess what... my ski was red! I told em that i was just putting in for the first time that day & it wasn't me. Well there was another red ski beached farther down the shore & the ranger told me to "HAVE MY PFD" on anytime i'm operating a PWC for any reason. With that warning the officer took off down the shore since someone was fixing to get back on the actual ski that was causing the rutkus to begin with!

required safety equipment and more

WFO is correct. All that is needed is…
    1. a sound device (whistle ok)
    2. registration card and sticker (current)
    3. tx numbers (properly displayed, suppose to be block letters with contrasting, no fade out colors but they usually let that “slide” a little if they can read the numbers)
    4. dead-man (lanyard) connected to you or your clothes / pfd (if your ski is so equipped)
    5. PFD worn at all times on the ski (TPWD will ticket you for “putting around” at the ramp PFD is not on, zipped, buckled and dead-man plugged in, that is fine, plus they require you to take a boater ed class)
    • When we were stopped 3 times on our BB to Seabrook ride a couple week back, I unloaded the sink for several reasons. One reason I had to, is to so show the fire extinguisher to PD, on RXTX, I have to remove the front storage “bucket” (poor design in case of fire, ha) and the other reason was by showing the PD all the safety equipment (required and non-required), I was hoping to let him know that we were on his side with safety and more importantly was so he wouldn’t ticket any of us for safety violations, wake / speed or noise (that SHO, with tru hull exhaust, had some hum to it), as he talking about doing!
    • Some water PDs also “require” you to have a ID (DL type) and. more and more, are asking for a daytime signal device (orange flag)which is bogus unless offshore or a inland body of water, and connected to offshore water and the connecting (adjacent) body is greater than 2 miles wide. Example… Galveston Bay and the Gulf Of Mex are connected by the Bolivar Roads / Galveston Jetty and the straight line distance (width) is less than two miles ) so the daytime signal device is not required (pwc is less than 15' LOA) and night signals not require because pwcs are not allowed to operate at night.
    • Guilty as charged on the kitchen sink (old Boy Scout). Because of the type of riding I normally do, long distances, ICWW, offshore and remote cruising. I do carry a lot of extras, some safety, some comfort and some for maintenance...
    • Enough tools do minor, on the water repairs, (cut / pull debris out of impeller, remove grate, remove pump, change spark plugs and tighten battery cables.
    • Also, carry a 5/8 x 50’ poly rope, anchor w/ line, fenders, spare dock line, knife, flashlight, distress flag, flares, gps w/ spare batteries, cell pon w/fresh batteries, VHF radio and of course, tie-raps and duct tape. Contingency cash, check and cc.
    • Comfort / survial items, such as… spare hat and glasses, fysh mask (rain), nylon jacket, dry clothes and towel, bug spray, jelly fish spray, sun block, drinking water, crackers. On the last ride, because of the cool weather, I had some extras including a wetsuit and gloves. And always carry a large heady duty trash bag, good for all kinds of emergencies (rain coat, dry clothes, hose patches and worst case a sleeping).
    • Another, different tool bag in my truck, has trailer tools and spare bearing seal and grease.
    • So why do people spend money to lighten their skis (carbon fiber etc). Well, beats the heck out of me. With my 225 pounds, 100 pounds of “stuff” and 90 pounds of fuel, what difference does it make, ha?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information