Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should i do a pressure test on my rebuilt 951

Just got finished rebuilding my xp limited 951 engine and was wondering if i should take the time to pressure test the engine? What do i find out by doing it? What the procedure on doing it? How many people do it when they rebuild?

You definately should pressure test a newly rebuilt engine. Basically, cover all the openings and fill the engine with 5psi of air. There was a suggestion a while back about using thin rubber to cover the ports (intake, exhuast, ect.) and bolting on whatever covered the port. Read "Buying an XPL for $300". I think we were talking about it in that thread.

+1
    Do it if you can.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

+1 do it..make a large effort

if you have an air leak, you are going to kiss lots of work and money away pretty quick. Pressure testing takes some speaiclized stuff, but the cost is far less then a replacement set of cases / labor time pulling the engine out.

any good how toos or what parts should be on to do the test and which parts should be left off during the test.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Hey, I did a easy pressure test on my engine,
    here is what you need!

Harbor Freight Leakdown tester $35.00
    (1) Wheel Barrow inter tube, also available at Harbor Freight $ 2.50

cut out pieces for to cover the intake and exhaust ports, I used a hole puncher for the holes on the tube, wet the tube pieces before squeezing them between the seal.
    install your exhaust manifold and intake manifolds, plug your pulse lines at the bottom of your cases, I used a hose and hooked it up from barb to barb, install the RAVE valves,(you can test with them on) install the leakdown tester thru the spark plug hole, and pump 5 psi.

It was as easy as that on my engine, I did not need any block off plates, its just a waste of money.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    By the way make sure that when using this kit, on what ever piston you insert the pressure make sure that the piston is top dead bottom, so the pressure can flow thru the bottom cases not just your combustion chamber.

and do not exceed the psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you will blow a crank seal. 6 or 5 psi is enough.
    and wait for 10 mins I believe, I just let mine, sit while I had dinner, so it still held.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    By the way make sure that when using this kit, on what ever piston you insert the pressure make sure that the piston is top dead bottom, so the pressure can flow thru the bottom cases not just your combustion chamber.

and do not exceed the psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you will blow a crank seal. 6 or 5 psi is enough.
    and wait for 10 mins I believe, I just let mine, sit while I had dinner, so it still held.
    Dude, this is the wrong way to do a pressure check.

- The HF Leakdown kit is the WRONG system, and the WRONG way to do this. It is made for pressurizing cylinders to see how much leaks past the rings and valves. It has no shutoff valve, which you need to seal the pressure in the engine to see if there are any leaks. You basically did not do a pressure check on your engine.....

- It doesn't matter where the pistons are, top or bottom. If you did the pressure check right, it will seep past the rings in a few seconds and equalize top and bottom.

You can buy the stuff you need, barbs, gauge, shut-off valve, etc from Home Depot for like 20 bucks. You don't need to waste money on a HF test setup that is the wrong thing to use in the first place.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

please pardon my arrogance

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9408

sure hope you're a better engine builder then internet user

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9408

sure hope you're a better engine builder then internet user
    OK, maybe I was a bit harsh. But I was polite in correcting him the last time he brought this up, and he brought it up again, which showed he didn't learn that his method was incorrect. I just don't like people to be steered the wrong way. If nobody corrected him, you might have hundreds of guys running down to HF and buying that kit, thinking they have pressure checked their engine, and wondering why it blew up later from a leaky crank seal......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information