Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    liquidmilitia.com rxp127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SO*CAL
    Posts
    923
    +1
    1

    2001 polaris virage help

    my problems is im having trouble remembering how the drive shaft goes. does the end with the longer spines go into the prop or the motor? and also i just put a solas prop on it. how much should i tighten the prop to?


  2. #2
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,929
    +1
    1,407
    Tighten the impeller good and tight the engine will do the rest. The side of the drive-shaft with the fat seal area goes into the engine side.

  3. #3
    liquidmilitia.com rxp127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SO*CAL
    Posts
    923
    +1
    1
    ok cool, thanks for the info. ok now another problem. shaft is in the right way now. i turned it on reved it a couple of times then it sound like the prop was lose in there. i took the pump back out and yes the prop was lose. is that because the shop didnt tighten the prop in all the way?

  4. #4
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,929
    +1
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by rxp127 View Post
    ok cool, thanks for the info. ok now another problem. shaft is in the right way now. i turned it on reved it a couple of times then it sound like the prop was lose in there. i took the pump back out and yes the prop was lose. is that because the shop didnt tighten the prop in all the way?

    Could be? Its always a good idea to only rev it in the water under load.

  5. #5
    liquidmilitia.com rxp127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SO*CAL
    Posts
    923
    +1
    1
    oh yea i know i just did 2 quick revs then turn it off to make sure it was running. ok i will walk back to the shop tomorrow they are closed. well let you know what happen tomorrow thank you

  6. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,589
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by rxp127 View Post
    ...I just did 2 quick revs then turn it off to make sure it was running...
    That is why you should properly torque the impeller onto the stub shaft

    When you rev the engine and let go, the engine RPM rises and drops quickly. If the impeller is not torqued properly, it can 'unwind' from the stub shaft.

    Engine torque does not directly tighten the impeller onto the stub shaft. The spec is for 100ft-lbs of torque to tighten the impeller.

  7. #7

    Smile

    I have always made it a habit to clean the threads on prop shaft and impeller very well and also use a coat of blue loctite ,not to keep it from unraviling ,but to keep it from corroding and also to keep it from over torqing if a rope or stick etc is caught,never ever let it torque up in the water ,yes it will tighten up, but many times it will overtighten if not torqued up correctly the first time.Dont skimp on this step,because if it doesnt bite you now it will when you go to change impellers,also on worn impellers and driveshafts you might hear a little rattle when out of water due to splined connection of DS.and the impeller>Marvin

  8. #8
    liquidmilitia.com rxp127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SO*CAL
    Posts
    923
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    I have always made it a habit to clean the threads on prop shaft and impeller very well and also use a coat of blue loctite ,not to keep it from unraviling ,but to keep it from corroding and also to keep it from over torqing if a rope or stick etc is caught,never ever let it torque up in the water ,yes it will tighten up, but many times it will overtighten if not torqued up correctly the first time.Dont skimp on this step,because if it doesnt bite you now it will when you go to change impellers,also on worn impellers and driveshafts you might hear a little rattle when out of water due to splined connection of DS.and the impeller>Marvin

    thanks ill keep that blue loctite in mind. but the rattle nice was a lot, and it ended up that the prop was loose. the tech where i took it too didn't tighten the prop correctly, haven't been able to go back, wish i had a prop tool at my house. Hopefully the prop not being tighten correctly at first was the problem. thanks for the help.

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,589
    +1
    1,272

    Arrow Polaris impeller removal tools

    Quote Originally Posted by rxp127 View Post
    ...wish i had a prop tool at my house...
    Impeller removal tool is about $20 on eBay, sometimes less.

    $10 from Overton's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White Brothers Polaris impeller removal tool (long) b.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	178870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris impeller removal tool (Solas brand).JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	178871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31625_L1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	179116  
    Last edited by K447; 03-21-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2001 polaris virage no spark, HELP!
    By robmeyer in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM
  2. 2001 Polaris Virage..help stator
    By Ratrace in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
  3. 2001 Polaris Virage..help
    By Ratrace in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM
  4. 2001 Polaris Virage Help Please :-)
    By YoCoLifSavr in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 11:36 AM
  5. 2001 polaris virage help please
    By h23pasadena23 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •