+1

Feeling like a idiot, whats a 14/17 good for?

So, I'm cleaning the shop looking for my 15/20 I bought for my Rude charged RXP, and discovered a 14/17 Solas, what exactly is that set up for? I have a 15/19 Scat 3 blade in it now, but I'm against the rev limiter and maxing out at 8600, but my speed never goes over 77 (gps) and it maxes out at about 3/4 throttle, so I want to try a Solas 15/22 and ditch the 3 blade Scat. What impellor do I want? IIRC the 15/20 would be a better choice than the Skat 15/19, as IIRC its more aimed at turbo boats
    Thanks.

Heres my mods, Stage 3ish?, Riva ECU, valve train upgrade, 4" Kana, 50# injectors, Riva RRFPR, Rude 1 SC, Pirhana IC, Pump wedge, adjustable nozzle with the 81mm ring, Riva grate, Jerrys water box, 15/19 Skat

The 14/17 prop is basically a stage 1 prop
    for a stock 215 hp 3 seater- gtx, rxt...
    It would be ok if tweeked to 14/18 for a stock RXP.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    So, I'm cleaning the shop looking for my 15/20 I bought for my Rude charged RXP, and discovered a 14/17 Solas, what exactly is that set up for? I have a 15/19 Scat 3 blade in it now, but I'm against the rev limiter and maxing out at 8600, but my speed never goes over 77 (gps) and it maxes out at about 3/4 throttle, so I want to try a Solas 15/22 and ditch the 3 blade Scat. What impellor do I want? IIRC the 15/20 would be a better choice than the Skat 15/19, as IIRC its more aimed at turbo boats
    Thanks.

Heres my mods, Stage 3ish?, Riva ECU, valve train upgrade, 4" Kana, 50# injectors, Jerrys water box, 15/19 Skat
    Well you obviosly need more pitch but what do you want out of your boat topspeed or accel???

For topspeed you cant beat a properly pitched solas if you want accel then get your 15/19 pitched up. You must be making some good power to spin your 3 that hard anyhow unless it has lost some pitch or been de-pitched at some point.

To answer your original ? if you are going to get another prop then get the 15/22 and have it pitched accordingly. Remember that three blades would normally act alot taller than a four blade with the same pitch. R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    The 14/17 prop is basically a stage 1 prop
    for a stock 215 hp 3 seater- gtx, rxt...
    It would be ok if tweeked to 14/18 for a stock RXP.
    Yes the 14/18 would be ok in a stock RXP if its a 4 blade but look in my sig, both of those skis are running 14/18 skats.

Both setup for CC so accel is important. The 04 did have a external IC fitted and was spinning it to 8150 but I have removed the IC and im hoping that it will be around 8000 without.

My point is that the 3 blades are allot bigger than the 4s.

SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1

prop

that 14/17 is for a 3 seater and it will never work as good as a14/19 15/12 or 15/22 even if it has been re-pitched because the root angle is smaller on the 14/17 than on the other props i have listed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Well you obviosly need more pitch but what do you want out of your boat topspeed or accel???

For topspeed you cant beat a properly pitched solas if you want accel then get your 15/19 pitched up. You must be making some good power to spin your 3 that hard anyhow unless it has lost some pitch or been de-pitched at some point.

To answer your original ? if you are going to get another prop then get the 15/22 and have it pitched accordingly. Remember that three blades would normally act alot taller than a four blade with the same pitch. R88
    I forgot to put in I'm running a Rude 1, Pirhanna IC and a Riva RRFPR, Riva grate, adjustable nozzle with 81mm ring and it has a wedge, I'm not sure how much power I'm getting but yes, its easily turns the Skat, hell, right now I'm getting some serious cavitation from about 3/4 throttle up. I think I want more speed as with how well it turns the Skat, I doubt going to a 15/22 would loose that much excelleration? My daughters boat which is the other in my signature runs 75 all day long with half the mods. I dont close course or drag race, it so really top speed is more important than excelleration. I would like to get it into the 80mph zone. The Skat hasnt been pitched or should I say depitched, and doesnt have that many hours on it. I'm also running a stainless wear ring and it looks perfect, eveything looks great so, there isnt any thing from the pump causing a loss. On a side not how much would I loose in excelleration?

+1
    With all those mods! That Rude1 is about 12.5-13.0 psi boost, Install that 15/22, install 82mm nozzle go and do some testing and setup your AFR. You have a Ecu for 8600rpm's you can be turning around 8540 and be right at 80+............ Oh! Install a Begi and dial in those ARF on the fly.

I would keep the Skat 3-blade. Add about 1.5mm to the trailing edge and take the leading edge from a 15 to a 15.5. Also, I would change to an 82mm ring. That should put you right where you want to be with better acceleration. I doubt the 15/19 you have now is really a 15/19. If it is, you should be doing 79-80 at 8600 rpms depending on fuel load and water conditions. The Skat 15/19 is slightly taller than the Riva/Skat 15/19. You would gain around 2 mph with the 4-blade.

Mark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    I would keep the Skat 3-blade. Add about 1.5mm to the trailing edge and take the leading edge from a 15 to a 15.5. Also, I would change to an 82mm ring. That should put you right where you want to be with better acceleration. I doubt the 15/19 you have now is really a 15/19. If it is, you should be doing 79-80 at 8600 rpms depending on fuel load and water conditions. The Skat 15/19 is slightly taller than the Riva/Skat 15/19. You would gain around 2 mph with the 4-blade.

Mark
    Well said Mark.

I would also stick with the three yeh maybe you lose a couple MPH uptop but the accel and hookup is far better with the 3. Plus you wont have to buy another prop that way.

Get that prop over to speedfreek he will sort it out proper, I dont personaly like bending props as you never get the same results a pro does.

Also if you are suffering cavitation you may want to consider lowering the front pitch or the first number, this gives the prop more bite into the water and helps to stop cavitation.

What driveshaft seal are you running??? If you are still on the carbon seal then you may want to consider one of the bearing seals availible. They really help to combat cavitation induced by the boot moving and allowing air from the hull into the pump tunnel. R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Well said Mark.

I would also stick with the three yeh maybe you lose a couple MPH uptop but the accel and hookup is far better with the 3. Plus you wont have to buy another prop that way.

Get that prop over to speedfreek he will sort it out proper, I dont personaly like bending props as you never get the same results a pro does.

Also if you are suffering cavitation you may want to consider lowering the front pitch or the first number, this gives the prop more bite into the water and helps to stop cavitation.

What driveshaft seal are you running??? If you are still on the carbon seal then you may want to consider one of the bearing seals availible. They really help to combat cavitation induced by the boot moving and allowing air from the hull into the pump tunnel. R88

Stock seal, this boat has been built on a shoe string budget, a little at a time over 4 years

Thread Information