New prob with sl750

Was just outside to do a compression test pulled all the plugs was going to spin the motor over first after i pulled the plugs and when I did water came out all over the place kept spinning it over to get water out has some gas with it, it just keeps spraying a fine mist out of them. I know I cant get a good compression test till the cylinder drys out, how do I dry them out. Also how bad of a problem is this the bike sat for a long time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Water sitting in the engine is generally a BIG problem.

Once the steel crank shaft bearings start to rust, the engine must be rebuilt.

How long has the water been sitting in there?

My neighbor said he started last summer when he cleaned it up and charged the battery but i was not there when he did this. The liquid is brownish and has some fuel in it. How could I tell if there is any damage and what would it cost to rebuild if i did the work

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG1926 View Post
    My neighbor said he started last summer when he cleaned it up and charged the battery but i was not there when he did this.

The liquid is brownish and has some fuel in it.

How could I tell if there is any damage and what would it cost to rebuild if i did the work
    That brown color is most likely rust from the crank bearings.

Rust => engine needs rebuild.

It doesn't matter whether you can get it to start. The bearings won't last for more than a few minutes, if that.

If you are willing to do the work yourself, then you can remove, dis-assemble, and rebuild the engine. The crank shaft will need to be rebuilt by a shop. Everything else can be done using hand tools.

Or you can purchase and install a good used or commercially rebuilt engine.

Otherwise, then you are looking at either parting it out, and selling the parts for what you can get, or selling the entire machine as a project (mechanic's special).

Went back out after letting it sit with the plugs out the liquid is just about gone so I checked the compression 115-112-115. Is it still not looking good you think it would hurt to try and start and run it or am I still looking at rebuild and do you think there could be more liquids in the bottom end.

+1
    Compression should be checked with all spark plugs out, and the throttle held wide open.

Cranking with the throttle wide open will also move the maximum air through the crank case, which might pump more liquid out the plug holes.

Unless you are REALLY lucky, I expect the crank bearings are rusted. In which case it doesn't matter much whether it runs or not right now.

You can start it, but keep in mind that if the bearings are rusted, they won't last long. A crank rebuilder would be installing all new bearings anyway.

paper weight

Brownish liquid blowing out plug holes in large quantity is NEVER good, I wouldnt mess with trying to start it, I personally would start looking for a used or reman. engine. In my opinion its not the best choice to rebuild that mess.

So you wouldnt pull this motor and rebuild it That what i was going to do so i know what I have and can depend on it. was going to do it myself I mean to rebuild it. This one and one more will make two What do I have to lose no money spent yet except on a repair manual from john

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG1926 View Post
    So you wouldn't pull this motor and rebuild it?

That what i was going to do so i know what I have and can depend on it. was going to do it myself I mean to rebuild it.

This one and one more will make two
    What do I have to lose no money spent yet except on a repair manual from john
    Some folks are intimidated by the prospect of rebuilding their own engine. I think that is what blegan was referring to.

If you are interested and willing to rebuild the engine, then that is an excellent option!

+1
    Ditch that ski and sell the parts off it on ebay, recoup cash, buy running ski! Then hold onto motor and rebuild for fun, learning and performence.. put back in, enjoy sking all the time while doing so. Cost more but you get more in the end, you get to ride all the time!

or. if you really have your heart set on it, I have a short block here that needs 1 bearing fixed on the crank..sell it to ya for a 100.00 it has a stator,mid cover,stator cover,upper case, lower case, crank,no reeds,rods ,engine plate,very clean. the rest of the crank is real nice. although a crank builder would be the ultimate judge. I was gonna get it fixed, but I bought 2 skis instead.

How do your pistons look? the bores? rusted?

Thread Information