stx 15f, ocean ride.. flush and what else?

i flushed my ski but i can see where i have some dry salt drops on top of my engine... do i just get a can of silicone spray and spray everything i can or do i hose the engine off with the garden hose or what...

2007 kawasaki stx 15f

Can only tell you what I do and has been successful for me. After ocean ride, I flush the ski, and with a GENTLE spray, hose the engine down. Afterwords I give it a light spray with WD 40. However before I've taken my ski out, I make sure that all the electrical connection have a light coating of fluid film or something to protect against corrosion.

I hose mine off well and spray some CRC silicone spray on engine and all over pump area. Keep seats off so it can dry. Keep everything lubed per manual. You can also use some Salt A Way (comes with a hose connector vial) to flush engine while its running. Its basically a detergent to help clear out salt deposits in the engine.

All of the above is good advice. On my 15F I put a latex glove over the air intake inlet; that will prevent any water from spraying down your engine from getting inside the airbox. The glove wrapped over the air intake inlet will provide a snug fit. Don't forget to take it off next time you use the boat. I suppose you could stuff a rag into the air intake also which would accomplish the same thing . . .

Silicone Spray better than WD40 for overall spray down of engine

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Also, Dawn liquid detergent works well as a cooling wash-out. I just load about 6-8 oz's in the hose, and try to work it down the hose a bit so it isn't just one short blast. Works good and costs nothing compared to Saltaway.

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Also, Dawn liquid detergent works well as a cooling wash-out. I just load about 6-8 oz's in the hose, and try to work it down the hose a bit so it isn't just one short blast. Works good and costs nothing compared to Saltaway.

can anyone else back this ? i know as a firefighter class A foam is corrosive and its pretty much dawn dish liquid from what ive been told.. so i would think that dawn over time is corrosive as well...?

+1
    you are only flushing with it in any case i personally use truck wash i'm sure any detergent will do to break down the salt crystals but im no expert neither

Quote Originally Posted by jayp0209 View Post
    can anyone else back this ? i know as a firefighter class A foam is corrosive and its pretty much dawn dish liquid from what ive been told.. so i would think that dawn over time is corrosive as well...?

We ride exclusivley in saltwater and in addition to a light coating of Fluid Film I find it very helpful to keep a fair bit of dielectrical grease on all the electrical connectors, like twice the amount normally used. my .02 cents...

WD-40 has always worked for me. Or pb blaster and then a wipe down with the old rag

Thread Information