What is the hull made out of on a 96 900Zxi?

I have to do some work and not sure if it is fiberglass or SMC. I thought I read somewhere it was SMC. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chvscks319 View Post
    I have to do some work and not sure if it is fiberglass or SMC. I thought I read somewhere it was SMC. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Tops SMC, bottoms halfs glass.

No kidding. I wonder why that is. Does anyone know if SMC works on fiberglass. I know that the other way around fiberglass doesn't work with SMC.

Smile

Fiberglass will work on smc hulls ,its the resin you use and the prep work,I owned a large rental and repair shop in the 1993-2003.We repaired many cracked hulls ,some with even the right rear or left rear corner completely gone,or the nose broken back 2' yes thats feet!!!you simply use either an epoxy resin with the fiberglass or we even used poly resin on occasion.Just dont expect your walmarts bondo resin to be easy to work with.Spend a few bucks get a quart fromany auto repair store that sells paints and top coats to paint and body shops.The trick to getting a good bond and to not have it fracture later is to follow these steps.First get all oil ,water etc. off of area,then grind out all the dead glas or hull,then feather the edges at least 1"if not more,then you wipe whole area with laquer thinner,then you have to lay up patch where you have 5 or 6 layers of glass in middle of hole ,then 4 3 layers 2 etc,the patch has to flex like the hull especially around the edges.You then grind it down, outside only dont worry about inside unless its area you can really see, removing all the wax from cured resin,feather it out,you should then have a good surface to make your final lay-up on,wipe it clean with laq. thinner(DO NOT USE TURPENTINE OR ANY SOLVENTS WITH OILS IN IT)make your final lay up ,after it cures make sure you grind it back to where there is none over any painted or gelcoated area,it will peel up at edge with water hitting it.THen after all wax is off the cured patch on outside of hull and its ground smooth and flat ,lay a thin coat of body filler over patch,up to thedges of it,let cure and start sanding,start with a 60 grit to knock off,switch to 150,then 400 wet ,then prime it and paint it.I have had big patches in btm under engine last for 10 yrs or more,I always sold my rentals every 2 yrs,to customers on lake who knew me.Believe me the old 92-1998 were the toughest kawas to do.polaris,sea-doo,yamaha are all easy compared to the kawas SMC.BUt you can perform a good repair with fiberglass using proper resin,or even using poly resin.Those who say it wont work ,maybe it didnt for you because you either missed some steps, didnt feather edges,made patch too stiff,or didnt fill and get every bit of filler and or patch off of unground surrounding areas of patch ,allowing patch to lift with water pressure.Main thing is clean!!!,GRIND OUT FAR ENOUGH,SANDWICH REPAIR IF ITS BELOW WATERLINE!DO not try to overwork your resin or filler ,do not mix too much hardner ,you have about 15 to 20 minutes of usable time on your resin,and about 3 to 5 minutes on your body filler,dont try and shape with glass or filler you shape with grinder and sandpaper.The biggest failure is with people trying to overwork the glass or to allow air pockets in it,each piece of fiberglamust be throuroughly wetted and all air worked out,by the cheap boars hair brushes 1.25 ea. and throw away after ea, layup.YOU can DO it!!!JMHO>Marvin
    Be careful of hull areas that are double or have liners some of the zxi and sts/stx do.older tigersharks with the 1/4" hull stretched over inner hull liner/frame were impossible to make a lasting repair!!!

good info.............thanks

very good info. I believe you addressed the fiberglass on the SMC part but I have some left over SMC repair resin I used on a Polaris and the majority of the damage is on the top of the ski and some of it is on the fiberglass(bottom half). I'm curious if I can simplify the process and use the SMC repair on the whole job. I might just call Evercoat. Thanks for the replies!

I would always use epoxy resin on a used ski. It will bond to the old material much better and last. Also use fiberglass mat for smaller cosmeting repairs and woven cloth for larger structural repairs.

I used this stuff on a Polaris and seemed to work good. Only used for half a season though. http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=16
    It says Polyester based resin. So what would a brand be with epoxy resin and can that be used on both SMC and Fiberglass?

If you want that brand http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=45 but I use West Systems epoxy resin and hardner. You can get it a West Marine.

Thread Information