Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 Xp Wont do anything

I have a 1996 Seadoo Xp 787 and I had the battery out of it for the winter to keep on trickle charge. I ran the ski about a month ago and everything was fine.
    Today was a nice day and i was considering maybe taking it out so I put the battery fully charged back in. Well it was hard to see down in there and the battery i have has such small + or - signs makeing a stupid mistake i wasnt paying much attention to where the terminals were being plugged in , I herd some clicking sounds but assumed that was normal during initial contact of battery terminals, so i connected the battery cables up and put the key in no beeps or anything. I got my head in there and Realized the cables were connected backwards. So i hurried and unconnected and connected the right way Red-Positive, Black-Neg. and put the key in no beeps or lights/cranking Dead as a door nail, so i searched the forums on pwc today and others and some folks said the 5 Amp fuse could be blown on the MPEM. Took the lid off and sure enough the one Five amp fuse on the Mpem was blown, and the other 15amp on the mpem was good SO i replaced the Fifve amp with a new one and still no beeping or cranking?? Now im stumped is the MPEM Fried. Put a Volt meter on fuses and they were getting juice so it couldn't be the other 15 amp fuse in the black box near the battery no wires or anything anywhere look smoked??

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yep, your MPEM is fried...did it myself. I bought a battery with the charges reversed on the posts. it was marked correctly but negative was positive and positive was negative and KABOOM! no cranky. . you just need a new MPEM.

I ALWAYS take a yellow paint marker and highlight the + and - on my batteries.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You can check the 15 amp fuse in the black box next to the battery too, but more than likely you fried your MPEM. And rectifier, and CDI...

Welcome to GH!

Sorry to hear you got in a hurry. It will probably cost you.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    I have a cdi if you need one. I did about the same thing back in the day but i just put the ground wire that is for the coil on the positive side and fried the cdi and coil my mpem was good.

ok ya thats what i am relly leaning towards here is the Mpem, So if i just got the mpem it still wouldnt work cus everything in that box is fried? including the cdi and rec. I was just curios though, I bought it used and i think maybe there was some engine modificatious if i got a new mpem does that mess with timing?? like say the Mpem that wwas in there had been set a certain way from the guy that owned it before to go with the engine mods? and if i buy another Mpem that is working and drop it in it would run like crap??

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    ok ya thats what i am relly leaning towards here is the Mpem, So if i just got the mpem it still wouldnt work cus everything in that box is fried? including the cdi and rec. I was just curios though, I bought it used and i think maybe there was some engine modificatious if i got a new mpem does that mess with timing?? like say the Mpem that wwas in there had been set a certain way from the guy that owned it before to go with the engine mods? and if i buy another Mpem that is working and drop it in it would run like crap??
    not necessaraily,when i did it I just fried my MPEM. Rectifier,CDI(it think) was good. List your mods. Most mods dont require changing timing. IT shouldbe ok to pick up an MPEM and see what happens.

Banned User
    I have also left the small black wire off the battery a few times, make sure you have it hooked before you go replacing gib items. this wire goes from the rear black box to the battery.

Smile

First check your fuses ,It probably fried the MPEM but make sure all fuses including the one in the solenoid box if it has one,normally by the time you have fried a fuse in MPEM it is too late,However I have on very rare occasion,seen when a customer brought one in that had reversed polarity that only fuses were blown,in black box where fuses are in mPEM some of them are spares ,look at the box cover to see which are hot and which are spares,you will have to have your key programed to new mpem it wont work unless its synced hopefully youre just out a .50 fuseJMHO>Marvin

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by henn View Post
    I have also left the small black wire off the battery a few times, make sure you have it hooked before you go replacing gib items. this wire goes from the rear black box to the battery.
    +1,,I saw that on a customer's ski. Didn't notice myself until I went to pull the back black box to check the fuses. Hooked up the black wire, fired right up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information