Can someone post a how-to on how to remove mikuni carbs from an xl800?

So I've went over the manual and the diagram is kinda hazy on what I need to do. I know I have to take the cover off. I dont know what to remove to get the carbs off from here. Can someone point me in the right direction to the steps needed to remove the carbs and the connecting throttle cable etc that I need to get them off the ski??? Thanks

Its a 2000 Yamaha xl800

Well this is a nice write up for the 1200 gpr it may be close to what your looking for you need to remove the exhaust first ......
    So, you want to remove your OEM stinger. Could you be doing a carb rejet or maybe installing a Stinger3? Whatever it may be you will need some tools. Here is a basic list of tools you will need:
    • Flathead Screwdriver
    • Phillips Screwdriver
    • Socket wrench
    • Extension
    • 10 mm socket
    • 12 mm socket
    Whenever you do work on a ski it is good practice to bag and tag the pieces and bolts/nuts/washers that you take off. I use zip lock bags and a Sharpie marker. It is always a good idea to disconnect your battery before you do any of the work to your ski. Here we go:
    First of all, remove the plastic heat shield over your Stinger and toss it in the attic and forget about it.
    1.) Removing the battery tray: Disconnect battery wires from the terminals and spark plug wires from the spark plugs. Remove the four (4) 12mm bolts that hold the electrical box to the battery tray. These are the four brass nuts that are visible in the battery tray once you remove the battery. Push the electrical box towards the front of the ski until the four studs clear the battery tray. Next, remove the two black 12mm nuts on the top rear of the battery tray and then the two 10mm nuts with the white tops on the top towards the front of the tray. While doing this make sure you don't drop the passenger side clip down below the engine. Push the positive cable, negative cable and the vent tube through the hole in the side of the battery tray. Now you can pull out the battery tray and support bracket.
    2.) Getting the electrical box out of the way: Disconnect the three plugs on the driver's side of the electrical box to allow maneuverability. These plugs are the exhaust temperature sensor, the water temperature sensor and AC magneto. Once the plugs are disconnected you can set the electrical box behind the bulkhead out of the way.
    3.) Getting into the Stinger: Where the stinger meets up with the exhaust chamber you will see a big rubber boot with two clamps on it. Loosen those two clamps and slide the boot towards the front of the ski. This will expose another coupler that is gray. Loosen the clamp that is towards the rear of the boat. You do not need to loosen the front clamp.

4.) Disconnect the water hose that is located towards the middle top portion of the stinger.

5.) Remove the 14mm bolt where the Stinger mounts to the bracket on the rear end of the engine case. This is located towards the end of the Stinger towards the back of the boat.
    6.) Remove the 12mm bracket bolts on the passenger side of the No. 2 cylinder. They are a little hard to see but easily accessible with an extension.

7.) Remove the 14mm bolt/mount which holds the intermediate housing grease hose. In the pic below it is the bolt on the right. The grease hose is the little black cap to the far right.

8.) Remove the remaining three (3) bolts that hold the Stinger to the top of the head/cylinders.

9.) Loosen the last clamp which is located at the end of the Stinger where it couples with the waterbox.

10.) Gently pull toward the top front of the Stinger in a backwards motion and try and disengage the Stinger from the front coupler at the expansion chamber. Once you have that apart you can pull up and then forward to disengage it from the back at the waterbox. When that is done, gently pull the Stinger straight upwards and out of the hull. You have now removed the Stinger.

Then the airbox

Here is a basic list of tools you will need:
    • Phillips Screwdriver
    • Socket wrench
    • 10 mm socket
    • 12 mm socket
    Whenever you do work on a ski it is good practice to bag and tag the pieces and bolts/nuts/washers that you take off. I use zip lock bags and a Sharpie marker. It is always a good idea to disconnect your battery before you do any of the work to your ski. Here we go:
    First of all, remove your Stinger.
    You may or may not need to remove your exhaust chamber. I had the exhaust chamber out on this person's ski for other work and it makes it much easier to work in the area.
    1.) Remove the 12 mm bolt facing towards the front of the ski. This is the bolt that attaches the intake duct. Next you want to loosen the clamp that connects the silencer (the bulb looking thing) to the silencer case (flame arrester).

2.) Pull out the intake duct and the silencer.
    3.) Slide the clips on the flame arrester to the open position and remove the cover.

4.) Remove the six 10 mm bolts that hold on the spark arrester (the screen) and remove the assembly.

now for the carbs

Remember this is all for a 1200 gpr but should help Here is a basic list of tools you will need:
    • Phillips Screwdriver
    • Socket wrench
    • 6 mm socket
    • 10 mm socket
    • 12 mm socket
    • (2) 10 mm open end wrenches
    • razor blade
    First of all, remove your Stinger.
    1.) Loosen the 10 mm nuts securing the oil pump cable and the throttle cable to the carbs. Remove the cables by sliding the cables forward and disengaging the pins.

2.) Using a razor blade cut the zip ties holding on the fuel return and fuel suction hoses located at the front and rear of the carb rack. Prepare to either block off these hoses or raise them so the fuel doesn't spill into the hull.

3.) Loosen the two 6 mm clamps that attach the fuel pump vacuum hoses to the carbs. These hoses are going vertical in the pic below. The right one is cut out of the pic. You can only see the clamp. The very last pic on this page shows the two hoses without the carbs.

4.) Disconnect the oil feed lines by cutting the ties. These are on the top of each carb.

5.) Remove the hose clamp at the front of the rack that attaches the other fuel pump vacuum hose. This is located close to where the choke cable attaches. While your down there go ahead and disengage the choke cable with the 10 mm wrenches. The pic below is from the front of the ski looking back at the carbs.

6.) Remove the four 4.5 mm hex bolts that hold the carb rack on the reed valve plate. These look clear or yellowish in color.

7.) Pop out your remote throttle stop screw (idle adjustment) and cut the tie holding it in place. This is located towards the front of the ski on the outside of the front silver bracket where your cables attach. It looks like a little black knob.
    8.) You now have six more 10 mm bolts and you can remove your carb rack. There are two on each carb. One on the top and one on the bottom. The pic below shows the one on the top. You will have to feel around for the ones on the bottom but they are located just on the opposite side of the bowl. Remove the carb rack.

Thread Information