This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

1100 TSI Starter Drive/Magneto replacement

I took this job on as "sort of" a charity case and sort of I can always use some extra money over the winter.

As with most Tigershark repairs, it always ends up being something I later say " if I had known better, I would have just said no"

It was a bad purhcase, I told the customer it was barley worth it, but he went and gave me the go ahead to make it "lake ready" ( in poker terms he was pot comiotted, so whats a couple of grand more?),

Fuel pump was shot, and while trying to "diagnois" it, some hack caused a major electrical problem.

Fuel pump change wasn't too bad ( cept for the pump cost..being fuel injected and tiger shark need I say more?)

Then about an hour to figure out why the pump wasn't running...a little more time to patch up the electric box.

Ok $45 in spark plugs later ( yup..THOSE plugs), the engine doesn't want to fire up..ok give it a little "hlep"..there she goes..running nicely on the hose....no leaks..ok shut it down..wait a couple of minutes..try to start it...no dice..fuel pressure is good right to the injectors, but the cranking voltage to the injector system is too low. crap..stator problem or worse

Little more fuel in there and it's running and putting out enough voltgae to run the injectors.

but now the starter bendix is complaining...badly. No doubt it got the crap beat out of it while somebody was trying to fix the original problem, the newer looking starter motor confirmed that suspiscion)

Now I did a bendix for a pal on a carbed shark 1000 and it wasn't real painful, but on this one...mama mia it's a 300 pound girl in a skinny dress..no room for nuthin...and pulling the engine to change the bendix?..can't be!

little to no info around on this model so I dig in....moved the tank out of the way, removed the front motor mount plate ( BTW, there are two bolts that don't show up on the parts diagram..and what a bear to get out) and the rest of the job went as well as one could in an old sludge filled rough fiberglass slashing you at every turn smells of old stale gas tigershark

About five hours start to finish..it was all original, nothing had ever been taken out ( except the starter motor)..so it was all tight as can be. Bendix was kinda pricey, but the book on that ski is unrealistically high.
    Motor seemed pretty good too..for a fitch anyway

No wonder TS went out...this thing is a service nightmare and is a typical case of design the hull first, then squeeze the motor in later...and tough nuts for the tech who has to deal with it.

The only real pain was an inch long jagged bit of glass that ended up under a fingernail. ouch..that called the offical start of our season here.

I will give TS a little credit..there was a lift ring on the engine..made at least one part of the job a bit simpler.

This thing was so original it even had the Tigershark VIDEO TAPE in the front storage ( un opened) I might have to rip that and share it woth you guys.

Being the only shop in the state ( not like we have that many shops to start with) that will even touch a tigershark, I likely reap what I sow by posting this tidbit.

But for those who need to know...changing the stator and bendix can be accomplished without pulling the engine out of a TSI 1100 ..last of the sharks.

Shame Suzuki never got into the ski business...they were comfortable where they were and never expanded to the point of the other companies of thier ilk. With a roomier hull it would be right up there with the kaw 1100 STX

wow what a project. So the ski runs good now?

+1

a few more things to do

to get around the stator problem, I'm installing a primer kit ( a hack for sure, but as it's well know, tigershark electrics are really really really pricey..did I say really pricey?) so the engine can be started..once it's running, it's getting just enough voltage to run the injectors.

after that's done all I gotta do it stick it in the tank for a 30 minute "lake test" make sure it's going to startup after it gets really really hot and then deliver it.

The hose is not a substitute for a water test and for this kinda money, I want to be sure this guy doesn't come back all ticked off after getting stuck on the lake.

I told him from the get-go he made a bad buy..but people want what they want so I got him out for the minimum. Had I insisted on fixing the electrical problem it could have added quite a few bucks more to the total ticket.

No doubt this ski was jumped a zillion times, and initially after getting the bad pump and 10 gallons of varnished gas out of the tank I shot some gas into the engine to avoid beating up the starter. The bendix started acting up after it got warmed up on the hose for the first time in maybe 2 or 3 years

Might be a sleeper on the lake..as it has the goods..we'll have to see how this one turns out on delivery. I'm planning a couple of new test tank video's this year, this one will likely be on the program, I just drained the last 50 gallons of water out of the tank for a scrub out before filling it for this season's work.

Like I said, I like these suzuki motors, it's just the hulls I'm not all that keen on Not to mention that cost of parts.

Is the stator just weak? Have you every had stuff done by jet ski solutions? John over there is the man and can rebuild your electical stuff better then stock and a lot cheaper then buying a new oem part?

prime pump?

How did you add a primer pump to the fuel system? I thought the system was effectively closed since it is fuel injected?

I have to pull a spark plug on mine and inject gas to get it to run everytime... if I could do this that would be awesome. Do you have any pics or a list of the parts you used?

+1
    simple. you cut the fuel return line and put your primer pick up line into a "T" fitting there. I set mine up using the throttle body cover. carefully position the primer nozzles so the gas will squirt into the throttle body. It's a little tricky to get the nozzles in the right position, but the plastic is very forgiving of a few extra holes ( I did fix my missed measurements with black silicon seal.

Haven't had an opportunity to use jsk for anything, but the stator rebuild service looked interesting..filed it away under the "we'll be needing that sometime real soon as the last of the Polaris stators go bye-bye. There's an outfit in Canada that also does stator repairs, but the exclude the red expoixed polaris stators for some reason.

Thread Information