Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a little advice....

Hi guys,

I just recently installed the R&D ride plate with no shims this past weekend to see what my speed gain would be. I have the 09 FZR and my mods include, R&D intake manifold upgrade, R&D sponsons, and the. Riva intake grate/ pump seal kit. I'm 235lbs, the gas tank was full and I was one click up on the trim. I was side by side with my buddies Sea Doo RXT-X at WOT. The water was pretty much smooth except for one boat that had gone by a few min. Ago and left a small half to one foot wake. I turned the ski slightly to the left to avoid hitting the wake side ways, but the ski cought it and tried to toss me off. I muscled it with one arm to stay on the ski cause I didn't want to eat it at nearly 70 mph. In doing that, I think I pulled or ripped my muscle or tendants. My whole arm is bruised and I'm in alot of pain. No broken bones thank god.
    Anyways, did I do something wrong? Do you guys think I need to shim the R&D plate or what? Any suggestion would be greatly apreciated. I still want to reach my gole of 80+MPH, but I want to feel safe getting there.
    Thank! Franky G

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKY G View Post
    Hi guys,

I just recently installed the R&D ride plate with no shims this past weekend to see what my speed gain would be. I have the 09 FZR and my mods include, R&D intake manifold upgrade, R&D sponsons, and the. Riva intake grate/ pump seal kit. I'm 235lbs, the gas tank was full and I was one click up on the trim. I was side by side with my buddies Sea Doo RXT-X at WOT. The water was pretty much smooth except for one boat that had gone by a few min. Ago and left a small half to one foot wake. I turned the ski slightly to the left to avoid hitting the wake side ways, but the ski cought it and tried to toss me off. I muscled it with one arm to stay on the ski cause I didn't want to eat it at nearly 70 mph. In doing that, I think I pulled or ripped my muscle or tendants. My whole arm is bruised and I'm in alot of pain. No broken bones thank god.
    Anyways, did I do something wrong? Do you guys think I need to shim the R&D plate or what? Any suggestion would be greatly apreciated. I still want to reach my gole of 80+MPH, but I want to feel safe getting there.
    Thank! Franky G
    I ran the R&d plate with no shims for quite a while and never encountered that problem. It actually sounds like an overstuff problem you have with the stock grate but you say you have an aftermarket grate so it is very unusual.

Just want to ride.
    +1

Sponson?

Is there a chance you caught a sponson blade? If they are set in the 'down' position, which is more agressive, I could see you leaning to the left over the wave, catching the left sponson blade, and the ski 'hooking' to the left - that would wake you up big time.

Sorry to hear about your arm - hope you heal up quick - summer's coming!

Good luck,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    I ran the R&d plate with no shims for quite a while and never encountered that problem. It actually sounds like an overstuff problem you have with the stock grate but you say you have an aftermarket grate so it is very unusual.

Yeah, I don't know bro.. When I was riding with the stock plate, the ski felt as confident as can be. I never once felt like the ski was going to toss me or squemish at speeds.. This is very unusual.. Hmmmm

well, thanks for your input anyways.. 

Quote Originally Posted by washingtonrider View Post
    Is there a chance you caught a sponson blade? If they are set in the 'down' position, which is more agressive, I could see you leaning to the left over the wave, catching the left sponson blade, and the ski 'hooking' to the left - that would wake you up big time.

Sorry to hear about your arm - hope you heal up quick - summer's coming!

Good luck,
    Sean
    Yes, they are bro. I'm going to raise them up and see if it fixes the problem. If I do raise them up, will it be too lose from the rear you think? I don't want the rear to break lose from me in a turn. I'm not doing any tight turn riding, but I will be making wide turns at high speeds every now and then.
    Thanks for your input buddy.

Just want to ride.
    +1

Turning

I don't think you'll have a problem with high speed sweepers - really the only time you should feel the back end potentially break loose is during hard turning, like closed course. The beauty of the FZR is you can lean it over to get the sponson to 'bite' when turning sharply. The big pump tunnel keeps you hooked up......

I'd move the blades to the 'up' position and see how you feel. Keep an eye on your trim, too - you can always drop the nose down 1 position when you turn to help stay planted.

Hope that helps!
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by washingtonrider View Post
    I don't think you'll have a problem with high speed sweepers - really the only time you should feel the back end potentially break loose is during hard turning, like closed course. The beauty of the FZR is you can lean it over to get the sponson to 'bite' when turning sharply. The big pump tunnel keeps you hooked up......

I'd move the blades to the 'up' position and see how you feel. Keep an eye on your trim, too - you can always drop the nose down 1 position when you turn to help stay planted.

Hope that helps!
    Sean

Thanks Sean! I will definitely try that the next time I go out. 

+1
    First you need to fix that torn tendon or muscle before it draws up into your arm and it cant be fixed. The bruising is a dead give away. I tore my bicep tendon last year on my Z the 2nd time out by getting tossed off on a glassy lake. Mine felt fine prior to the ejection and then out of no where, wham!! Sounds like you may have just hit the wake the wrong way and if you were topped out, it doesnt take much. I added a new grate after that. Good luck with the arm

+1
    Franky,
    Definately try putting the sponsons at the higher setting.... also, its hard to know what exactly the conditions were when it happened, but I would think that when you hit angled boat wakes at full speed and you let off the throttle it could 'kick' the ski a bit sideways and "catch' as there is no power/thrust to pull you out of it.
    Get well brother.

Gary

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    Get well brother.

Gary
    +1 Franky--Get well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information