Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 stroke question

I know this has nothing to do with Jet Ski or a Polaris for that matter, but you guys know more about 2 strokes then I can dream about so I thought I might ask. And any other form I have ever looked at just talkís trash they never help each other thatís why I love it here and the reason I bought my second Polaris ( I just got lucky when I bought my first one). To my question how can a two stroke motor keep its self running with no spark? I just bought a 1987 Suzuki lt500 also known as a quadzilla this is a 2 stroke racing 4 wheeler. I kicked started it today and as soon as I did it revved all the way up before I ever touched the gas. As soon as it started doing it I turned off the key and pulled it out, the motor continued to run so I hit the kill switch and it still ran so I pulled the spark plug wire off the spark plug and it still ran after this I was baffled so I ran away from it waiting for it to blow up as it screamed at the top of its lungs. Then it hit me turn of the gas so I did that and it still ran. So for another good 45 seconds it screamed until it finally ran all the gas out of the bowl on the carb. I left this out I didnít think of it while I was typing or while I was panicking because I couldnít turn off my 4 wheeler . It has a manual choke on the carb where you have to flip a lever to turn it on and flip it again to turn it off that should explain some why to revved up(it was on). Not why it wouldnít turn off. I also didnít think a choke could rev a motor so fast and to its peak but I guess it can. So does anyone have a clue how this happened?

This topic has come up recently.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118423

thanks for the help it sounds like carbon build up from the other thread how would i go about fixing this

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000slx1200 View Post
    thanks for the help it sounds like carbon build up from the other thread how would i go about fixing this
    If you can remove the head(s), then you can manually clean the carbon out.

While you have it open, you might want to apply some carbon dissolver chemical to the piston tops and rings, and let it work. Carbon behind the piston rings is not good for an engine.

Or you can try using a pour-it-into-the-carbs carbon removal product. Without removing the heads, you won't really know how much carbon is in there, nor how much the product managed to remove.

BTW, Polaris recommends using a carbon product on their engines as part of normal maintenance, but I almost never hear anybody mention actually doing so.

+1
    Check the carb setting too and see if its running rich. look for carbon built up not just a black piston running lean. thats all black with no carbon on it. rich is carbon build up. hit the heads and the piston head with a wheel wire . then check the wash after a while. 30 mins and wash will start to show..

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    A little trick the boys on the bike site use is a spray bottle of water.

Give the carbs LITTLE, mutliple shots of water while it's running.

The water inside the combustion chamber actually steam cleans the piston and head.

Now that is on 4 stroke engines, not a 2 stroke.

NOTE: I'm not endorsing this, just throwing it out there for anyone feeling adventureous.i

iv hurd of the same thing kevin , only with ice water ( h2o is h2o)

for removing carbon off valve seats and valves

never tried it myself , never really had the problem if i did id give the lovely seafoam treatment you see on you tube

+1
    Yea Kev, we use to do that too back in the day. hold the throttle open pretty far and drizzle water down the carbs to steam clean the piston tops and heads..

For fun, guys use to put trans fluid down the carbs! wow does that smoke like a 2-stroke.lol

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    Another solution is Sea Foam. That suff dissolves carbon like no other!!!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 2000slx1200 View Post
    I know this has nothing to do with Jet Ski or a Polaris for that matter, but you guys know more about 2 strokes then I can dream about so I thought I might ask. And any other form I have ever looked at just talk’s trash they never help each other that’s why I love it here and the reason I bought my second Polaris ( I just got lucky when I bought my first one). To my question how can a two stroke motor keep its self running with no spark? I just bought a 1987 Suzuki lt500 also known as a quadzilla this is a 2 stroke racing 4 wheeler. I kicked started it today and as soon as I did it revved all the way up before I ever touched the gas. As soon as it started doing it I turned off the key and pulled it out, the motor continued to run so I hit the kill switch and it still ran so I pulled the spark plug wire off the spark plug and it still ran after this I was baffled so I ran away from it waiting for it to blow up as it screamed at the top of its lungs. Then it hit me turn of the gas so I did that and it still ran. So for another good 45 seconds it screamed until it finally ran all the gas out of the bowl on the carb. I left this out I didn’t think of it while I was typing or while I was panicking because I couldn’t turn off my 4 wheeler . It has a manual choke on the carb where you have to flip a lever to turn it on and flip it again to turn it off that should explain some why to revved up(it was on). Not why it wouldn’t turn off. I also didn’t think a choke could rev a motor so fast and to its peak but I guess it can. So does anyone have a clue how this happened?
    Check for air leak around seals or between carb and engine,for a two stroke to diesel like that running wide open on little fuel with carb closed it actually gets so lean that the tip of spark plug hot enough to fire engine,if this ever happens again give it full choke and throttle it will die quick,you have to either get rid of all fuel or richen engine up where it wont diesel or run off.The old polaris blu engines were bad about this if you got carbs out of sync.they would only do it out of water not under load.also if your quad does that again put it in gear let clutch out while holding brakes,the only power engine lly has running that fast is not from fuel but from kinetic energy built up in flywheel.choke it give full throttle if it doesnt die let off throttle put in gear hold brake and release clutch!!welcome to the phenominon of two stroke gas engine running like a diesel!!JMHO>Marvin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information