Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

charging seadoo battery while battery is installed?

i did a search but did not find my answer.
    i know the owner's manual says to disconnect the battery from the seadoo before charging the battery, but thats a small PITA to do on a regular basis.
    On my other boats, this has never been an issue and i'm not sure why it would be any different for the seadoo.

So, am i safe to charge the battery while it's still in the seadoo and fully hooked up?

Any you guys replace the OEM battery with a larger AGM?
    if so, how easy was it to "modify" the battery mounting system for the different size battery?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoofishr View Post
    i did a search but did not find my answer.
    i know the owner's manual says to disconnect the battery from the seadoo before charging the battery, but thats a small PITA to do on a regular basis.
    On my other boats, this has never been an issue and i'm not sure why it would be any different for the seadoo.

So, am i safe to charge the battery while it's still in the seadoo and fully hooked up?

Any you guys replace the OEM battery with a larger AGM?
    if so, how easy was it to "modify" the battery mounting system for the different size battery?
    I charged mine yesterday... batteries were dead from sitting up in a body-shop having gelcoat repair work done. I charged 'em w/o removing a wire and they cranked fine and showed no error codes (other than 12V Low) but that code disappears after they recharged themselves.

It's safe to charge the battery with it hooked up with a small charger like the Battery Tender. Mine stays hooked up all the time when Im out of the water.

I put both of skis on a trickle charger every 2-3 weeks with them still hooked up. Ive been doing this all winter and they both fired right up the other day.

+1
    Smaller battery chargers are fine,but with the bigger ones , i always take the + - cables off,worried for damaging the ecu.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    It's safe to charge the battery with it hooked up with a small charger like the Battery Tender. Mine stays hooked up all the time when Im out of the water.
    +1 I also use a Battery Tender, but I dont keep it hooked up all the time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    i did a search but did not find my answer...
    Search for battery maintainer, and not just in the Seadoo section.

Lots of good battery and charging info posted.

+1
    ok read though other post on this thread do not think anyone answered your question-- seadoo says to remove battery for safty reasons the hull may have fumes that could ignite or the battery could produce fumes that could ignite so to cover there arse they tell you to remove battery from ski before charging hope that helps --- i went to radio shack bought some heavy duty two prone connectors both male and female install one side to the battery with a long leads of 10g wire and the other set on a battery charger so if i need to charge ski i reach in pull the leads out and connect direct to charger that way no chance of spark in hull area

as for a larger rated battery stick with the size and rating it came with may damage charging system if you use a larger one

i try to do a search before posting, but after reading thru a variety of threads on battery maintainers and chargers, i just didn't find info on safely charging the battery while still hooked up.

I have heard lots of good feedback on people using battery tenders and trickle chargers, but IMO a proper battery charger is best.

From what i know of batteries, they require more than just topping off. Especially when heavily drained or left without charging, lead acid in particular can develop sulfation on the plates and require "higher" (10A or more) amperage charge to break the sulfation bonds and return the cells to their potential. only recharging the surface of the plates will bring the voltage back up but will leave the reserve still depleted. Perhaps not a major issue if you only start the unit a few times, but if running accessories and are re-starting the ski many times thru out the day you may find the battery failing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...I just didn't find info on safely charging the battery while still hooked up.

I have heard lots of good feedback on people using battery tenders and trickle chargers, but IMO a proper battery charger is best...
    Battery maintainers and Battery Tenders are proper battery chargers.

They are not fooled by surface charges - they will recharge a discharged or partially discharged battery, then manage the charge voltage to bring the battery up to 100% charge, and keep it there, without overcharging.

Trickle chargers generally are much simpler, and are not recommended.

Some battery tender or maintainer kits come with the necessary cables to install a hookup to the battery posts. You can either keep the charging plug inside the hull, or bring it to a charging port mounted on the hull.

Battery Tender and 12v Plug Install

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...-connector/286

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information