Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Polaris 650

Polaris 650

I found an add in the paper that reads jet ski for sale $150. I call and have been playing telephone tag with this guy who has a Polaris 650. Still have not been able to talk to him but getting ready to try at lunch time. I am looking for a cheap project ski, not knowing much about Polaris ski would this be something to consider.
    Doug

+1
    this all depends on if it has papers or not.. it might be a pain to get papers..

i really cant give you a answer untill we have more info.. but 150 bucks is 150 bucks.. but prob need a motor and pump and everything else.. or it might ned something stupid.. you never know thats why we would like some pictures and more info

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, as others will tell you, it really depends on what is there, and what condition it is in.

The major questions are the internal condition of the engine, and the overall condition of the hull, deck, small parts, and the jet pump.

If the engine is not in pieces, take along a known good battery, and a few tools.

Remove all the spark plugs, and check the cylinder compression on each cylinder. All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open. First crank it with all the plugs out. There should be NO water spewing out the plug holes as it cranks. Maybe a small amount of fuel and oil mix, but no water.

Now hook up the compression gauge. Crank the engine until the reading stabilizes (should take just a few seconds of cranking). You want the numbers from each cylinder to be within 10% of each other, and it is better if they are within 5% from highest to lowest. A good engine will read maybe 120PSI in each cylinder, depending on the gauge used.

A common failure on these engines is one cylinder with very low compression. This is often caused by a poorly maintained fuel system, or clogged carbs.

The result is a hole melted right through the middle of the piston top. Sometimes this can be repaired easily, for the cost of a new piston+rings, and a cylinder honing or re-boring.

If there has been water or moisture sitting inside the engine, then it is likely the main engine bearings have rusted, which would mean a complete engine rebuild.

Even if the cylinders still have compression and it starts and runs, if the main bearings have even a little rust, the engine won't last long before failure.

Ask whether the engine was fogged with fogging oil to protect the insides. If the seller doesn't know about fogging oil, then assume the engine was not fogged. Without fogging oil, it might still not have rusted inside, but it will be hard to really know without taking it apart.

Sometimes you can get an idea of the crank condition by hand turning the drive shaft coupler with the spark plugs out. There should be no gritty or grinding feeling, and the engine should turn smoothly.

Have a look at the attached guide. It is not specific to Polaris, but gives you an idea what to look for.

Basic introduction to purchase of a Personal Watercraft

just talked to the guy on the phone, ski last ran on fresh water lake 4 years ago. The guy said to come on over tonight and we can start it up ski runs fine. he does not have the title for the ski, something about his ex girlfriend and it was originally owned by her, he had all the toys and she gave it to him. Is there a way of looking up an old registration number and getting a title from that? Ski is a 93 650. This will be our 4th ski, we have two JS 550 and an XP
    Doug

+1
    its possable, but its a huge pain.. see if he can get it for you...

you run the risk of it being "stolen" because it was under his ex's name.. you have know idea if he really has the rights too it or not

just be careful..check it out, you dont have to make a decision that moment

how would i go about getting it registered if he is not able to get the title? / getting it retitled in my name.

Doug

Honestly I think I would pass on it, I'm pretty sure you can find a 94 or newer 750 needing a piston replacement, and fuel pump upgrade, for just a little more, IMO it's money well spent, that way you get extra power and the better jet pump, but If you decide to check it out keep in mind they all run better out of the water, so make sure you do a compression test, it is the best way to tell the condition of the engine.

+1
    this topic has been covered a bit so i would do a search on gh, but call your local dmv and ask what the prosses is.. its diffrent between states.. get the hin number from the guy, its on the back right corner of the ski.. and see if dmv will run it..

not always

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    Honestly I think I would pass on it, I'm pretty sure you can find a 94 or newer 750 needing a piston replacement, and fuel pump upgrade, for just a little more, IMO it's money well spent, that way you get extra power and the better jet pump, but If you decide to check it out keep in mind they all run better out of the water, so make sure you do a compression test, it is the best way to tell the condition of the engine.
    I recently picked up a 94 750, Thinking I would hone the cyl. & drop a new piston in (WRONG) As you stated fuel system is in need of being rebuilt, So I started at tank w/pick ups ,then vac. & pressure valves all new fuel lines, installed water seperator, in line filters, fuel on/off switch,mikuni 3 way pump installed, pressure regulator,carb rebuild kits times 3. replace reed petals. I didnt want to aspend $ 350.00 on fuel sys. But when its all said and done I will have a nice dependable boat for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by blegan View Post
    I recently picked up a 94 750, Thinking I would hone the cyl. & drop a new piston in (WRONG) As you stated fuel system is in need of being rebuilt, So I started at tank w/pick ups ,then vac. & pressure valves all new fuel lines, installed water seperator, in line filters, fuel on/off switch,mikuni 3 way pump installed, pressure regulator,carb rebuild kits times 3. replace reed petals. I didnt want to aspend $ 350.00 on fuel sys. But when its all said and done I will have a nice dependable boat for my wife.
    Exactly, little more money, but a way better ski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information