Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detail Blow of Valve instructions Please

I am going to get a BOV finally. Since I am going on a 2 day trip and running my ski for a good 8 hours straight per day. I just want to make sure my crap out charger is protected alittle. If anyone has these let me know. Richard i am going to order from you. so I hope u have one

I just received mine today...instructions are included with it. I also noticed you'll need that special star tool(E- to remove the ECU screws, but Im going to try to use some locking pliers on mine...and even after the RIVA salesman said there was no drilling involved, there is, but its not that big of a deal you just have to remove some stuff to get to the IM where you plug in the vaccum hose.

Jay

+1

+1
    Troy; I have the blow off valve kits in stock

Richard

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I dunno about RXPs but i just installed the riva blow off kit last friday on my 03 GTX SC. You need a T-25 torx bit and the otiker pliers. Do what i did and go down to Advace autoparts and pick up a set of CV BOOT CLAMP PLIERS. This is the same thing with a different name. I think they weren't anymore than $10. Getting the silicone elbow itself on is a bit tricky due to it's tight fit, this may take some time and patience. Make sure you have the clamps already on or you'll be kicking yourself when you have the elbow on and have to take it off again to put the clamps on. After you take the ECU and ECU mounting plate off you will see a nipple next to the boss used to hold down the ECU mounting plate. In the instructions it says to drill a hole with the supplied drill bit into the nipple. On my ski this is not possible unless you have a right angle drill. I used a propane torch to heat up a nail similar in size with the drill bit and melt it into the nipple. This may take a few trys to get a smooth hole. Install the supplied tubing and reassemble the ECU. At idle put your hand over the blow off valve and you should feel air blowing out lightly. Give it some throttle and it should stop blowing out air until you let off the throttle. Like i said i have an 03 GTX SC so mine may be a lil different to install.

+1
    Greetings--

I just installed BOV kits on our 04 GTX SC skis.

A few quick comments--

Toss the clamps that come with the kits !!

I got a small set of Torex sockets with a 1/4 head and a small set of Torex stud-type for my 1/4 socket as well from a "cheapie" tool store for under $10. Sears wanted $$$!! for a set. I tried using a ratchet screwdriver type of set but too close quarters so fell back to a 1/4 socket and extentions. I had a hard time finding just a single E-type socket.

Drilling out the vacum fitting was impossible on our GTXs. I too heated non-business the end of a drill bit and pushed it through. Word of caution- don't heat the tool too hot or it can melt through the plastic too fast, causing you to create a misaligned hole or melt through it at the wrong angle-- patience

It was a bit tight trying to fit the blue (Riva) hose fitting. Its not as flexable as the original, nor is it shaped exactly the same. I used windex to lubricate it-- some pushing and cussing-- and finally got it on. Shop mechanic said he trimmed the edge of the hose at a slight angle on ones he installs.

One issue I ran into on our skis was that the BOV itself sticks up so that when the rear plastic stroage tray is in place, it sits on top of the valve, pinching the vacum tubing. I took a couple of zip ties and pulled the valve over a bit so it would be out of the tray's way. Others have said they either cut a hole in the tray or just left it out.

I'm wondering-- if I reinstall it so the valve is hanging downward-- will that cause any problems ??

==Just R==

When drilling this hole on my GTX, it was simple using a 45 degree angler attachment on the dremel. Then you have the capability of drilling a perfect hole.

Piney, I would get rid of that rear storage tray. You will see as time goes on, it really isn't needed. Our GTX's have more than enough room to store things.

Thanks for all the input. Going to place my order prob later today or tommrow. hopefully have by next week. Quesiton about the drilling what about the shaveings?? Wont they go in the thing u are drilling into? Also do you silicon the tube in place after it is in?

Troy, When you see how small the drill bit is, the shavings are not going to be an issue. The supplied drill bit is only 3/32" The instructions recommend using the supplied zip ties for securing the tubing which will be fine.
    Also go to the auto store and purchase the regular screw on clamps. Those Oetiker clamps are crap and only good for one use.

Thanks Red,

SO just use a regular screw clamp on the exhaust tube when towing it? I should have thought of that. Before I took it off and ran it to the top of my seat and had my seat clamp it with a little of it sticking out so if was not totally blocked off it would just spit the water out the side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information