+1

Crazy Tail Cone Action!

Pulled my pump for some soon to be installed upgrades. While I was at it, I thought I'd pull the tail cone just for giggles--had it off once and all was good. So I removed the three SHCS's from the tail cone and picked-up the drive shaft/stator (manual calls it an impeller duct?) assy by the drive shaft to stand her up while removing the tail cone.

When I got the assy at about a 45° angle, the tail cone popped-off and spewed an ugly sheeite on me. This happened in about a second.

Upon very close inspection, I see a flaw in the front seal. That's where I think the water came from.

I have two questions:

1. How do you get the drive shaft out of the stator or impeller duct? I hit it on the back side (after removing the nut and washer of course) and nothing moved. The serviced manual (pg 6-11) looks like it should come out that way.

2. Can I just flush/clean the bearings after removing the drive shaft and seals and reassemble with fresh lube?

I have awesome pics but my camera cable is at work.

Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

Craig

+1
    Holy Cow--From 2006! I didn't know the GP pump assy's were the same as mine.

I'll study the pdf more tomorrow.

Thanks BD!

+1
    After looking at the pump assembly thread, I am still wondering if I can remove the shaft and seals, flush/clean/dry the bearings, install new lube and then new seals?

Everything looks good in there but a bunch of water came out when the tail cap flew off.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    After looking at the pump assembly thread, I am still wondering if I can remove the shaft and seals, flush/clean/dry the bearings, install new lube and then new seals?

Everything looks good in there but a bunch of water came out when the tail cap flew off.
    I did all of this and still have water spraying out of the cone. So, I just live with it and watch the bearings. I would like to fill the pump with oil, but if water is getting in there filling it with oil is probably going to be a waste of time.

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I did all of this and still have water spraying out of the cone. So, I just live with it and watch the bearings. I would like to fill the pump with oil, but if water is getting in there filling it with oil is probably going to be a waste of time.
    ok

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    that not true bud,if you fill it with oil pressure will be the same on both sides if just have some grease in there most likely still have air void and will allow pressure from outside

air can be compressed-a liquid can not

and if nothing else the oil is a better heat transfer

cd
    Then someone needs to do this that has this issue. I am not going to be a crash test dummy.

Thread Information