healthy 2 stroke sound

i got a 2000 xl 800 with those wonderful powervalves. i was wondering what a normal 2 stroke waverunner should sound like. ( new to waverunners). it smokes like it should, but on idle while on the hose its got a loud occassional "clack"or popping sound to it. the engine dont jump or anything crazy, i was just wondering if this is normal. it kinda goes away with some throttle. any imput or even better clips of your or other idleing 2 stroke waverunners.

100 percent normal. I have a 00 xl800. The PV 800's are noisy engines so I hear my cylinders shaking and its noisy and it will go away if you give it some throttle. Get used to it because there is no way to stop it.

lol thankx buddy

I was waiting to give a xl800 back to customer,had it in water twice after complete rebuild,new crank,yam cylinders (no sleeves)prox pistons,both c with a 10 cylinder and a 14 cylinder.It runs real healthy I had also replaced cases as the rear cylinder ears had broken off when it seized before I rebuilt it.I hear that same pop or like a small thunk when you let off throttle from say 3500 rpm to idle you hear a very muffled thunk like a backfire or hiccup.Its the sound you all describe.I havent done a 800 in a couple years and had forgotten about the sound.I do lots of 1200 yams and 1100 kawas,a bunch of seadoo 800 and 717 with a couple 951 thrown in,thanks for taking a load off my mind!!>Marvin

Cape Coral
    here is my xlt after the ported 1300 topend was installed

That is a great post

houston, tx

i see you have the griddled head kit did you feel a big diffrence?? i have been considerding getting some wonder if its worth it!!!

thanx alot guys i can sleep at night now.....................loud 2 stokes= normal

Thread Information