Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1

Need Help with a Nissan Murano ?

I have a 06 Nissan Murano. The motor locked up do to sludge This is the wifes car that we leased Well i had it at Nissan dealer and sure enough it is definetly not coverd by warranty. I cant argue that! It was our fault. Well I have the car back from Nissan wich wanted alomost $12,000.00 to replace motor. I was given the option to replace it myself and return it in two weeks. The car has about 40K on it. I have found about 4 motors with miles ranging from 30k to 50k, $1,900 to $2,500. Today when I went to pick up the motor the gentilman helping me told me that the 06 Maxama 3.5 is exactly the same as the 06 Murano 3.5 motor. Only diff would be the oil pan,intake and exhaust manifold, Also change wire harness. But the Maxama motor price is $800 with 32k Does anybody know if this is true??? Are the nissan 3.5 motors the same? This is a nice chunk of change I could be saving here.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRFrank View Post
    I have a 06 Nissan Murano.

The motor locked up do to sludge...It was our fault...
    How did you manage to kill the motor in 40K miles?

+1

Nissan motor

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How did you manage to kill the motor in 40K miles?
    . Dealer pull off valve cover and droped oilpan. They said I should of changed it every 3K miles instead of the every 5K I did do. They said oil would sludge up on top head and couldn't make its way down the ports to the grank case, Over time more sludge built ap and slowed down the oil returning to the case, Also I hadded a class three hitch and now the dealer said I rant the motor hotter by towing a double trailer ski......

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    seems to me there should be more to the story.... i have an 03 nissan murano with 165K on it.. never had an issue towed multiple times with it and change the oil at 5k.... why not spend the money get a rebuilt jasper motor which is what the dealer will probably stick in it and not buy someone else's problems......

+1
    thats bull (what the dealer said). Engine oil sludge isnt even an issue anymore. Todays oils are designed to suspend the oil particles in them which is why the oil is so dark. Back in the 70's sludge was a problem but not now, shit most new cars recommend that you change the oil ever 5k miles. My 530i recommends once a year oil changes and its a '02

Also towing has little effect on the motor, its more a tranny issue. I could understand if you were pulling a +25' boat on long distant rides. That might, might take a tiny toll on the engine. But a jetski and trailer at what 1500lbs most?

Something dont sound right here

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    +5. I figured you never changed the oil. Every 5000 miles and that engine should be clean as new. Something hasn't been told yet.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRFrank View Post
    ...They said I should of changed it every 3K miles instead of the every 5K I did do. ...
    If you came close to meeting the Nissan guidelines for severe service oil changes, then there is something else going on.

According to the 2006 Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide, the Schedule 1 (which includes towing service) oil change interval is 3750 miles.

Schedule 2 (non-towing) oil changes are every 7500 miles.

I would be surprised if the oil went from good to sludge in just 1250 more miles, even if you were towing all the time (which I doubt)

According to the 2006 Owner's Manual, the required oil grade is SL or SJ.
    Were you using good quality oil that meets that rating?

Was the oil filter also being changed with the oil?

I imagine your trailer weighs a lot less than the 3500lb maximum tow rating, so again the stress on the oil is reduced from the maximum that Service 2 oil change intervals are designed to handle.

Edit: A quick survey of online forums indicates that these engines are sensitive to oil change intervals, and oil sludging is a known result of extended oil changes. I am somewhat surprised that a modern engine needs the oil changed so often.

It also implies that these engines really want a very high quality oil like a full synthetic, just to stave off oil degradation.

+1
    Posted at the same time.

Something sounds screwy here.

For the oil change interval forget what the dealer says what does the maintenance schedule in the owners manual call for. If that was followed they can't use it as an excuse.

+1
    I would have nissian corporate involved first, or try another dealer. You could send out a sample of your oil and have it checked from a lab. We do that on the trucks at work.

+1

Nissan

Few other things that may pay a part. This was a lease I picked up at the dealer with close to 8K on it already (DEMO) The car was driven by salesman. On the 4 or 5 service at dealer they charge us for a engine flush out service (Sludge Remover) at that time we were told its lighter grade oil in the newer motors that blacken and sludge it easier. Also the service records are not up to par! I should of just kept going to dealer. I did it few times and never documented! Have some CC reciepts for oil/filter Not the highest qaulity. Then more recipets from Jiffy Lube! Also nothing to do with motor but this was back at dealer around 20K for transfer case to be replaced. I have the engine carrige removed from body and going to lift body on Monday. Can anybody tell me it those to motors the Maxama and Murano 3.5 the same? I'm really trying to get this back on the road asap! Thanks for the replys....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information