Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Project Sportster

I just purchased a 1995 sporster with a single 657x. It does not crank over. sometimes I get one beep when hitting the start butten. The switches up front seem fine. The solenid is not getting any power from the mpem. When I jump the solenid the engine will crank and i'm not getting any spark to the plugs.

Another thing I noticed is the cylinders had a lot of oil in them. I hope its not seals. someone may have put a lot of foging oil in. I know nothing about the history of the boat or it's problems. I knew it was a project when I bought it.

Any ideas what I should do next.

Quote Originally Posted by gfmgp View Post
    I just purchased a 1995 sporster with a single 657x. It does not crank over. sometimes I get one beep when hitting the start butten. The switches up front seem fine. The solenid is not getting any power from the mpem. When I jump the solenid the engine will crank and i'm not getting any spark to the plugs.

Another thing I noticed is the cylinders had a lot of oil in them. I hope its not seals. someone may have put a lot of foging oil in. I know nothing about the history of the boat or it's problems. I knew it was a project when I bought it.

Any ideas what I should do next.
    All fuses are OK.

+1
    I'm not familiar with the SeaDoo boats, but I would bet that there is a neutral safety switch that disables the starter. Make sure the shifter is in Neutral.

Also, is the lanyard connected?

The boat was in netural. I also tested lanyard and starter switches.

Thanks

Nav Lights, fans, belge pump ,gadges all work. I can get one beep if I hit the start switch a few times. I can hear the relay on the mpem click when I hit the start button. I have voltage on some of the fuses.The solenid is not getting any primary power from the mpem. When I jump the solenid the motor turns with no spark. I think that the mpem is bad.

How can I test the mpem to see if it is bad?

Did you check the neutral saftey switch? If you hear the click it's probably not the mpem, try replacing the selenoid.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    bad solenoid, if the starter jumpstarts but the solenoid just clicks, that could be it. if your MPEM chirps chirps than I believe that is in working order.

Im geting a click on a small relay on the board not the solenoid. The soleniod is not getting any power into the primary side from the mpem. No chirps chirps I can get one chirp if i keep hitting the start butten 4-5 times.
    Where can I find the neutral saftey switch?

+1
    The neutral safety switch is on the shifter. I'm pretty sure that SeaDoo used the same shifters as Yamaha back then. Probably 4 screws to take off the plastic cover, then 4 more screws to lift up the entire assembly. The screws often get corroded in and break. We haven't seen many neutral safety switches fail, if any. Could be out of adjustment, though. Try holding the key in the Start position while moving the shifter.

I tested to see if the switch was the problem by unpluging the switch and trying to start. I also jumped the wires together and tried it and it's still no change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information