Nipple Checklist

Guys

Im goin out tomorrow and wanna ensure ive got every nipple well greased up

I've greased the main shaft nip and the wheels and wheel buddies up, have i missed anything??

Also what else do u guys recormend i give a grease up, steering cable oil etc??

Any suggestions would be great

thanks
    Neil

Forgot to put it the ski's a 780 SLT

+1
    no grease on any steering parts grease will hold dirt and sand and could bind up those parts
    you want to use a teflon spray

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    ...I've greased the main shaft nip...

Any suggestions would be great
    There is a grease nipple on the through-hull bearing. Is there one on the PTO drive shaft coupler?

Check every clamp and hose for tightness. Make sure the battery cover and straps are in place.

When you get to the water, leave it strapped to the trailer front and rear. Back it down the ramp until the jet pump intake is submerged. Then take the seat off and run it for a few minutes.

Shut it down, wait a minute, then restart. Make sure it starts promptly every time. Test the safety lanyard.

Check the readings on the MFD. Make sure the battery voltage jumps up to about 14.x volts when the engine is running.

Look for signs of water leaks, oil leaks, or fuel leaks, reasonable engine temperatures, and confirm the throttle and steering are working as they should.

Only when you are sure that there is nothing questionable, should you consider launching.

Once on the water, stop after a short wile and check under the seat for possible trouble. Smell for fuel, check engine temp by hand, look for water in the hull. Do this several times as you ride.

The number one thing when riding is to have a plan. What will you do if there is a problem on the water?

Riding buddy, tow rope, paddle, small set of tools.

Hose pinch tool for the water feed hose if you will be towed.

Safety gear; light (torch), air horn or whistle, working fire extinguisher, etc.

Many of us carry a mobile phone in a waterproof bag or case. I carry a VHF marine radio, and know how to use it.

The water will be cold. Be prepared to go swimming, and survive. Wear appropriate clothing for in-water exposure.

Plan how you will get out of the water if you fall in, as clothing can trap water and make you heavier, not too mention the cold affects your muscles.

The key to safe watercraft riding is not just the machine. The person is the key. Think, plan, prepare.

Then come back and tell us how it went

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    no grease on any steering parts grease will hold dirt and sand and could bind up those parts
    you want to use a teflon spray
    Right.

Spary lube all moving parts like steering linkage, throttle cable and pivot points, carb throttle and choke plates, etc...

Grease the thru hull seal. You should have a rubber dampned engine coupler, so no grease on it.

Do yourself a favor, and put it in the water, remove the seat and check for leaks. If no leaks troll around near land for a brief spell, then check for leaks again.

If all good head on aout for a good time.

Remember if something doesn't "feel" right, don't run it WOT. Lightly cruise back to the dock and try to diagnose what the issue is.

Good luck, have fun, and most importantly, BE SAFE.....

Remember to ALWAYS look before you turn. You wouldn't believe how many near misses occur because people don't do a simple check.

Man I saw the title of the thread and got really excited what a let down FYI I like the big round ones

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Here is a real life example of why you need to really check everything, and still ride with a buddy.

...My ankles feel water filling up in the foot wells, thousand things run through my mind. Why am I sinking? What do I do now?

I feel the back of the ski get real heavy. Wind picks up,. I think to my self, if the ski sinks all is lost, there is not a boat in sight.

Shore is ~ mile away, I start the ski and at idle point it at the sand bar. It struggles for about a minute and dies.

I am set a drift toward the sand bar, water is now just about over the both sides...
    OHHH NOOO.....

this guy already ran it on the water already so there shouldnt be any issues

id grease the the thru-hull fitting ,

fire up the ski , make sure she is firing on all clys , ( you do that by running the ski for about 15-25 seconds and then place your hand on each cly most guys like to feel the exhuast ports but where ever you can feel heat with out burning your hand is fine ) out of the water of course and with out a hose .

make sure your drain plug is installed and not leaking

bring a 6-20 ft rope , ( 3-5 meters )

and your mobile tele

if you have a friend with a boat or another ski , tag him along

oh ya bring your camera i wanna see it again

if you have a smart phone ( iphone, black berry , windows mobile ) you can look for cycleing applications which record your top speed via gps ,

again have fun mate

I happy to report it went great im well pleased, got loads of video and pic's ill be starting a new thread up with pics etc

thanks for the advice above
    Neil

Thread Information