Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Fuel Tank Strap Brackets Broken

I ride pretty rough water alot on my 05 RXT and during my spring once over, I discovered all my fuel tank strap brackets have sheared. I know that they are pop riveted and probally just need new rivets. Does anyone know what size rivets and the type of pull rivet gun that is required? And it looks like I need to pull the tank and what is the easiest way to do that? Thanks in advance for any advise.

+1
    Anybody have any advise? I don't think the tank can go out the front and I hate to pull it out the back due to the engine having to be pulled. Any thoughts about alternate methods to secure the fuel tank?

+1
    i think youll be pulling the engine.

+1
    U may have to try to rivit it back with the tank in place, or lean the tank to one side to get to the rivit holes

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    U may have to try to rivit it back with the tank in place, or lean the tank to one side to get to the rivit holes
    +1. I have had my motor and tank out, and I think if you disconnect and remove the gas tank filler rubber hose, have the tank empty, you will be able to move it around enough to do it without removal. You could also choose different anchoring points and hardware too, and do it different.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    +1. I have had my motor and tank out, and I think if you disconnect and remove the gas tank filler rubber hose, have the tank empty, you will be able to move it around enough to do it without removal. You could also choose different anchoring points and hardware too, and do it different.
    Thanks Vern and Jason, that's what I'm going to try.

+1
    I'm having the same problem with my ski. I was considering either using some of that hard "glue" type stuff Sea-Doo uses to mount several things to the inside of the hull, using epoxy or JB Weld to mount the brackets back to the hull. The rivets obviously weren't that strong in the first place, so I figure I might as well give the other things a try.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my ski. I was considering either using some of that hard "glue" type stuff Sea-Doo uses to mount several things to the inside of the hull, using epoxy or JB Weld to mount the brackets back to the hull. The rivets obviously weren't that strong in the first place, so I figure I might as well give the other things a try.
    Rivets in the hull are going to be much stronger that any type of glue, or epoxy! However... using 3M 5200 along with some good rivets on the brackets may be the best hope for them holding!

+1
    The hull doesn't seem very thick. In fact I've got a crack in mine from what I can only imagine was someone hitting the bunks on the trailer too hard. Is the hull built up, or thicker where the brackets are riveted? Should I drill out the old rivets, or drill new holes on the side of the old ones?

+1
    Anyone?
    In an 03 GTX, in the area where strap anchors are riveted to the hull (fuel tank, water box, etc.), is the hull thick enough to drill out the old rivets or drill besides them to resecure a broken strap anchor?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information