Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OHHH NOOO.....

Exclamation OHHH NOOO.....

What a beautiful day today,. Wow.. shame to waste it if Iím not on my ski. Went to storage, got the XLT out, brought home, charged the battery, topped off oil and gas, lubricated all steering/moving parts. Started her up, all looks good, 15 minutes later turn it off, drain plug check, all looks good, and itís a go. Got the ramp, yup I am the only one there in a parking lot fit for 100+ trailers. Water flat, clear, absolutely a pleasure to be in it. Got my 3mm wetsuit, 5mm booties and hat on. Ready to go. Cleared the channel reached cruising speed; all is great, 40,50 mph, so great to be back on the water, little fist pump to the sky. 10 minutes of riding around pull up on beach to check things out. Engine nice and warm, not hot, all looks good, start right up and off I go WOT across the great peconic bay doing 60mph. RPMís back off by 1K, im still on WOT, WTF? Slow down to 10mph, now Iím in the middle of the Great Peconic Bay, shit,.. slowly back to 40, 50, 60 all seems good. One second later, RPMs back down by 3K while im at WOT feels like Iím dragging my trailer behind me, underwater. Engine sputters, and I back off to idle. Idle seems ok, no problems, 5 minutes later slow acceleration to 5, 10, 15, 20, now it feels like im running on only two cylinders, the ski is shaking, sputtering, not responding to throttle. I point it to the closest sand bar and leave it at idle, im half a mile of shore. My ankles feel water filling up in the foot wells, thousand things run through my mind,. Why am I sinking? What do I do now? I feel the back of the ski get real heavy. Wind picks up,. I think to my self, if the ski sinks all is lost, there is not a boat in sight. Shore is ~ľ mile away, I start the ski and at idle point it at the sand bar. It struggles for about a minute and dies,. I am set a drift toward the sand bar, water is now just about over the both sides as it pleases. 10 minutes later I reach the sand bar, jump off into 3 feet of freezing water, grab the ski and start a mad dash for the shore. Exhausted and properly cold, I reach the beach and beach the ski. Pop off the rear seat, realizing the fears, water half way up inside the hull. Open the main seat, to see only my spark plug wires not submerged. Oh boy, what the $&@% did this? I think to my self, ok If there was an active leak I would have swam to shore, not drifted to it. It must be filling up with water only when engine was on. Check my hoses, IR hole shot kit, IR FF Exhaust, all looks good. Then I see it, exhaust, the very first clamp on the rubber connector by the D-plate is completely off,. Just dangling on the metal Muffler 2. I call Sea-Tow, they promise to be at my site in 45, I dump my 1liter vitamin water bottle, and start siphoning, about 30 minutes later I am done, now there are just a few inches of water on bottom. Sea-Tow gets me back to the pier and I get the ski on trailer, pop the drain plugs, and let it alllllll drain. A thought runs through my head, didnít I read in the manual that if you flip the ski and it has water in engine bay, get to shore, empty water, start it give it a few minutes to idle through then run it mid/full throttle for a while. I try to start it up, no luck just spinning like the spark plugs are not even there. Then,.. bang, one, two,. It starts. I step back and raise an eye brow with a dumbfounded look on my face, its running, sputters for few seconds and settles down. Two minutes later I play with the throttle, responsive, like nothing happened. I run it up to 4K RPMs 5 times, shut it down and head home. Tightened everything up, rinsed the interior with a quick hose down, cleaned it up, changed spark plugs, and let it run for 30 minutes on the hose. Holy shit, what an experience. Sorry for the length, Iím more then a few beers in by now, with a sigh of relief. Another run tomorrow? Canít wait...

So, did you injest water or just in the hull. If you got water in the engine I would run it WOT for a while on the lake to get the water all evaporated out of the engine. 30 mins on the hose is not going to get it out.

wow what a story

I would put some 2 stroke oil in each cylinder and run it as soon as possible at least a tank of gas thru it you may still have water in the crank bearings starting to rust if the water was up to the head i would be worried and i would unplug all elec conn. and dry and grease to make sure they dont start to rust as well. Gl with the ski

+1
    Were did you beach it? By robbins island?

This is why I try not to ride alone. Glad you made it back with you and ski in ok shape.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Do you have raised compression head? i had my hose clamp come off on mine too, too much pressure, added a couple pissers to the cooling lien, alls well now.... i agree get that ski on the water asap and run the pi$$ out of it...... (not full throttle though) ....

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I did not had a chance to put it back into water on sunday but did an hour of variable RPM running on hose at end of day. It started right up, ran problem free the entire time.
    No compression heads yet, maybe later in the season.
    Looks like the next time i'll be out is saturday, its raining here on long island for next few days, and thursday/friday im working all day.
    I will try to run it again soon if the rain lets up.
    thanks again

+1
    Next time, carry a paddle.

You might as well rip the engine down and rebulid it while you still have good cylinders. If you didnt get a chance to really run it hard the next day, running it on the hose isnt going to do much. Better break it down, if you throw a crank its gonna take out more than a couple of dollars worth or stuff. You can be into it for thousands..
    Not worth it in my opinion. I rather change out the crank for 400 and be done with it, better safe than sorry....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information