SLX1200 Ignition

I've just picked up a 2001 SLX 1200, all seem good except for an ingition issue. I have to reset the system (via the reset button) quite often to get spark. It still turns over when there is no spark, and it's not a battery issue. Once reset it runs just fine. I also think that there may be a bigger drain on the battery than normal, or at least compared to my SLX780.

Has anyone come across this or know what where the problem may be? I'm suspecting the CDI, but I'm no electrician.

I'd look for a short somewhere, have you split the e-box? If its draining your battery a lot while its shut off you can install one of those battery isolator switches. Does it trip the reset while your riding? or does it just do it while its in storage..? more details everything helps when troubleshooting.

I've had the box open but nothing obvious stood out. Once it's been rest & running, it's spot on but then if you stop it, it needs resetting (button on EBOX) maybe 50% of the time.

hmm, so maybe check your control wiring on the start/stop switch, I'd check you stator and coils as well, I think the trip button only resets if there is an excessive current draw, but I may be wrong. Do you know if it happens as soon as you shut it off or does it happen sometime after? Next time you take it out try to see when it trips.. or start and stop it for a bit when its dry and try to get it to do it, then note when it happens (as soon as its shut off, after a minute or two, random, etc.) Once you get that figured out, it might give you a hint as to where the problem lies.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Reset button is actually a circuit breaker. Either an electrical overload or short circuit is tripping the breaker (Reset button pops up), or the breaker is simply failing.

Sometimes the breaker can become corroded internally.

If you don't find any other reason for tripping the breaker, I suggest you replace it with a good used or new one. As I recall, they are not expensive, even new.

Do look for wires shorting together, or to engine ground, either inside the electrical box, or elsewhere. Look for insulation worn thin, or wire(s) crushed in the electrical box seam.

Bugga, I was wishing for a simple answer

I'll start at the ebox and work my way out I guess. Thanks

i have the same ski, and mine did the same thing last year, i replaced the switch and it fixed it

Thread Information