Pulling the Foam on the FZ Air intake

I pulled the foam today and have a question. The port side has a reinforcing plate behind the hull and directly behind the body part that hides the fresh air pickup. the starboard side did not. Is this what everyone has found?

Bump

+1
    I was only able to see the starboard (right) side using small mirror, but it does appear there's a stainless steel reinforcing plate sandwiched between the hull and the air intake base flange.

The 2009 FZ parts diagram (yamaha.com) doesn't show this reinforcing plate in the exploded view of the ventilation system. Therefor, I have to assume the reinforcing plate is integral to the intake base itself. Port & starboard intake bases are same part number.

Check again, perhaps the edge of the flange obscures your view of the plate? There wouldn't be anything substantial for the rivets to secure to, if the plate's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    I was only able to see the starboard (right) side using small mirror, but it does appear there's a stainless steel reinforcing plate sandwiched between the hull and the air intake base flange.

The 2009 FZ parts diagram (yamaha.com) doesn't show this reinforcing plate in the exploded view of the ventilation system. Therefor, I have to assume the reinforcing plate is integral to the intake base itself. Port & starboard intake bases are same part number.

Check again, perhaps the edge of the flange obscures your view of the plate? There wouldn't be anything substantial for the rivets to secure to, if the plate's not there.
    My point is the starboard side plate was not there. In addition, on the port side they were not consistent with the type of fasteners. The starboard used (in all cases) a nut with an integral locking mechanism and a large flat base, the port side had a couple of standard nuts with lock washers??

+1
    scratch everything I said - after reading your last post, I realized we're talking about two different areas.

I've installed the Riva intake which mounts (I think) to the plate you're referring to. If so, the plate is only present on the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    scratch everything I said - after reading your last post, I realized we're talking about two different areas.

I've installed the Riva intake which mounts (I think) to the plate you're referring to. If so, the plate is only present on the left side.
    yup

Thread Information