Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Problems

I have a 95 SL that has puked 2 batteries in less than a year. Both times there was ABSOLUTELY no warning, they just died very suddenly in the middle of cranking. The motor cranked perfect and then puked just like turning off a switch. Charging did nothing the batteries both seem to have suffered and internal short.

Is this common for PWC batteries???? Did I get a bad one from Autozone??
    I will check charging voltage when I get another new battery.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you using an external battery charger?
    If so, which one?

What battery make/model are you using?

How did you decide the battery had failed, and not the solenoid, wiring connections, starter motor or possibly the Bendix jamming?

What was the battery voltage when trying to crank right after the problem happens?

Make sure that when you are charging your battery you are disconnecting it and taking it out of the ski to charge it. Charging it while hooked up to the electrical system is not good for it. Also when your charging it when you check the voltage when the charger is done disconnect it and then check it with a volt meter.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you using an external battery charger?
    If so, which one?

What battery make/model are you using?

How did you decide the battery had failed, and not the solenoid, wiring connections, starter motor or possibly the Bendix jamming?

What was the battery voltage when trying to crank right after the problem happens?
    I only used the external charger to try to revive the battery. It sat since September, fired right up last week and re-started a dozen times with no prob. Fired right up yesterday and re-stared a dozen times and then PUKED, push the start button and nothing.

I Am using an Autozone CB16CL-B.

I hit the battery with a boost from my charger and the engine cranks fine. I swapped batteries with my SLT and the motor cranks fine.

Static voltage is 12.65. After I try to crank the voltage drops to 8.13 and will not recover until recharged. I did pull the battery out to try to recharge it.

The thing never gave any indication it was getting weak like the stator was not charging, it just puked. My other battery did the same thing, cranked perfect then just puked. At $50-$75 a whack I don't want to be throwing batteries at it like they are AA's

+1
    I suggest you invest in a good quality AGM type battery.

+1
    8.3 volts is way too low. Time for gel battery like k-447 mentions above.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ...Time for gel battery like k-447 mentions above.
    Not Gel... AGM

Gel batteries are different from Absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries, and not as good for PWC use.

Comparing Marine Battery Technologies

Odyssey # PC 625...is the answer.

You will be amazed at the cranking difference.

+1
    Want kind of charger and amps are you putting back into the battery? Marine batteries must be trickle charged,(low amps long charge) heavy quick charge will short the plates or cook it. And yes you could have a charging problem but a still a new battery run down can be recharged. If the ski is going to be stored for awhile pull it out and store it in warm dry place, not on the ground! Make sure all connection are clean and good contacts!! Check your main ground wire from battery to the block!!! Hope this helps!!!

Guys, A question on battery charging. I use an AGM in the Matrix and have a mantenance charger that I hook up when the ski is not in use so I am sure the battery is always topped up when I go out. The charger is a 4 amp one that charges at about 14. something volts and then goes into a float charge of I think about 13.8v. I see that one of these posts said not to charge the battery in place. I never disconnect it when using this charger as I always put it on when the ski isnt in use and don't really won't too being undoing the bolts all the time as the lead posts on the battery get damaged easily also the Matrix is hard to get at the battery with all the pipes. So how bad is it to charge the battery while hooked up ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information