Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BAFFLED

+1

Question BAFFLED

Ok, I had my 05 rxt rebuilt and the mechanic told me about breaking it in and monitoring the oil level. It has been about 15hrs and a ton of oil later and im still having to fill oil after a ride. There is no oil on floorboard around engine. There is some smoke coming off water in back while riding slow but not a significant amount. The engine runs beautifully and I dont want to take it back to the guy if there is something I can do or check. Any input appreciaited.

P.S. New to site so if I did something wrong pls help me out with it!

I would keep a record of how much oil per hour you have to add. Most recreational skis can go for 25-50 hours (all season) without adding any oil. Does the ski run up to 8000-8100 rpms? What's you wide open gps speed?... Ron

+1
    Ok, I will definitely start to keep track. I was just assuming that the rings would have sealed by now. I know ive seen 8000 rpms just dont have the GPS speed. Do you think its possible to have a longer break in period on a rebuilt engine? I do realize that the best thing to do is bring it in, but I am just trying to avoid the 1hr and half drive there and who knows how long this small shop would keep it. Thank you for your help!

I would take it back to them as soon as you can. The longer you wait the more leverage he has on saying you messed something up. Your rings should seat in the first 20-30 minutes of riding I would think. Instead of driving all the way up there try calling him and see what he says, that way he knows about the problem at least. It could just be a simple problem, but dont think its normal and keep running your ski. You could be causing more damage.

Do you have any tools your self? If so try doing a compression test and a leak down test. Those 2 things will tell you how healthy your rings are.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Are you running synthetic oil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 504tim View Post
    Ok, I had my 05 rxt rebuilt and the mechanic told me about breaking it in and monitoring the oil level. It has been about 15hrs and a ton of oil later and im still having to fill oil after a ride. There is no oil on floorboard around engine. There is some smoke coming off water in back while riding slow but not a significant amount. The engine runs beautifully and I dont want to take it back to the guy if there is something I can do or check. Any input appreciaited.

P.S. New to site so if I did something wrong pls help me out with it!
    Hey Tim, welcome to the 'Hulk. It's always good to see another local (NOLA/SOLA) on-board. I see you guys are still using the original LA area code...

BTW, there is a 'Doo dealer in Kenner/Metarie? I'm not sure where the line is - it's all NOLA to me as soon as I cross the Ponchartrain. The shop is on Williams just north of I-10. I don't know anything about their reputation, I only bought some oil from them as I was passing through town one day. But you might could call and get a 2nd opinion? I can find the business card if you need the number...

Check out us locals on the Louisiana Connection in the South East Rides/Local Rides. AND be sure to visit w/us at Mudbugs this June. Your a local, so you're expected to show up.

Have a great riding season...

+1
    Yeah we all know that is the best thing to do since im not familiar with working on them at all. I was hoping a miracle could happen and it would have been something easy or simple. Just dreading the lost time! appreciate your help!

+1
    Yes using synthetic. Making em rich $$$

+1
    Sup 83Gator,
    Thanks for reply. Thats N.O. powersports on loyola in kenner. thats where I bought my ski. I tried to bring it in to them last season and they told me it would be a month before they could look at it so I brought it somewhere else. Rather not say where cause he might double charge me if hes on here. Anyway the Mudbugs?? never heard of it. Is that strictly racing? My friend and I use ours mostly for fishing. You know anyone around here who fish from theyre skis? Or where to go to meet em?

+1
    Man, did you check into the right spot?!? BTW, might I have come across a post of your's on Jetski Sportfishing.com

OK, here's the goods:

Everything you want to know about Mudbugs: http://greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38 Check out the following threads: Countdown to 2010 MB, MBs Area Map & Info, Hotel Info for 2010, MB Trail Rides...

While the original MB was centered on hydro-dragging, I would say it has evolved. My bikes aren't modded and I don't race and I had a great time. It is more about folks w/a passion for PWCs to get together, meet, hang-out, cruise the bayou... and oh yeah, there'll be a grudge match or two going on. Your a local - so you're already here. I can promise you, you won't be disappointed.

Did you say Jet Ski Fishing? Plenty of info right here: http://greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=213 Yes, me and another local are now fishing off of the bikes. Get me enough folks interested and I'll put a tournament together...

And b/c you're a local, sometimes we discuss our up-coming rides on this thread: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19007 If you go to the end of this thread, you'll see what we are up to now. Come join us sometime, esp. before the 'Bug.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information