Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Head repainting - ideas?

Hey all,

I got a used pro-tec head, cleaned it up so now it's bare metal, and I'm thinking of going with the black krinkle look (kinda like the original). What I wanted to know is: how should I do it so that the areas around the spark plugs, as well as the raised lettering, have that shiny look (like in the original pic)?

Should I polish that before, then mask it off? Or paint the whole thing then dremel and polish the parts I want? Any suggestions / opinions (preferably helpful) are much appreciated!

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before and after.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	179364  

looks good with no paint but if you do paint it put spark plugs in so no paint gets in the threads and you could just hit it with some fine sandpaper after like you said or the dremel to clean up the spots you dont want painted

+1
    I like the look of it too, but not sure how nice it would stay. Good reminder about plugs, I did that when I blasted it, same with the cooling ports

I don't have much painting experience, so I was wondering how others would tackle it.

+1
    plugs in holes, fittings in holes, bolts in holes and bolt it to a piece of cardboard (to keep the bottom side paint-free), then mask off the areas you want clean. The plugs and fittings will keep the threads clean, bolts will keep the bolt head area clean. Pull the tape off while paint is tacky.

or since you like the no paint look. Plug everything up and clear coat it many times over.

+1
    Dave, you could always pick a color and then send it out to be powder coated. Just let them know what you want bare and they will take care of it.

Should be less than $40. So when you figure in your time and the cost of paint, you may want to spend a few more $ and not have to deal with it.

Just an idea.

+1
    paint choice is critical too, I have the automotive engine paints are not good in our environment. I have been using a two part epoxy paint lately, it really works well. It was $40 for a pint with the reducer and hardener.

+1
    For the krinkle look, they have bbq paints that could do the job. How they hold up in water environments, I don't know. I don't ride in any salt water though, so that's less to worry about. I'm wondering about powder coating now. I looked into it a few years ago in the area, and there weren't many, but maybe that's changed.

Bill, do you have a name of the paint you use? As I said, it's not something I'm really familiar with, just so I can have an idea what to look for?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I used an automotive engine paint last year on my heads. It held up very well. It is sprayed on then while tacky put in the oven and baked at 400 degrees for 3-4 hours.

+1
    So I went with a flat black high heat enamel (basically the only colour I could find to put in a paint gun).

I think it looks pretty sharp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0346.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	188010  

Looks sharp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information