Idling problems with Motec

I would like to ask help with idling problems with the Motec in my 2009 Ultra260. I installed the Motec and the idling was all over the place changing between 2300 and 6000 rpms. Then I disconnected the stepper engine using the oem ECU and I waited until the idle had settle down to normal level. Then I installed the Motec again and now the idle is better but its still varies between 2300 and 2700 rpm which is little bit too high (at least for the holders keeping the kawi on line ).

Do anyone have any better solution than disconnecting the stepper or have you been able to modify the map to control it better?

Thanks for your help

Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I would like to ask help with idling problems with the Motec in my 2009 Ultra260. I installed the Motec and the idling was all over the place changing between 2300 and 6000 rpms. Then I disconnected the stepper engine using the oem ECU and I waited until the idle had settle down to normal level. Then I installed the Motec again and now the idle is better but its still varies between 2300 and 2700 rpm which is little bit too high (at least for the holders keeping the kawi on line ).

Do anyone have any better solution than disconnecting the stepper or have you been able to modify the map to control it better?

Thanks for your help

Iceman

Off hand it sounds like the same issue I had. After I recalibrated the throttle all was good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Thanks for your help

Iceman
    Hi Ice Man
    Disconnecting the stepper is the easiest remote solution.
    Is this out of the water or in.
    If you send me a log file I can lower the idle via different means but I would like the file to be from when the engine is warm and on the trailer.

Cheers

This has been the issue for some time. Even back in the Autronic days, these would be blocked off completely

Disconnect the thing or it will drive you completely nuts.

The path I took.

#1 Run craft with stock ECU. While it is idling on stock ECU you will want to onplug the ICM. Then shut off motor. This wi close the ICM but not reopen when you shut off craft do to it being unplugeed.

#2 Install your Motec system

#3 Start the craft out of water and set you idle around 1800 to 2000. Your set then. It should idle around 1500 in the water. The rising and falling should be gone.

ignitinon comp tables

Pete, do you use the ign comp tables for the guys who don't know Motec to help them get set up at idle?

In Texas, I'm right by a lake and would offer to tune anyones ski if they are close or want to travel in for the weekend. Lots to do. 2 Motec dealers closeby. What I've noticed though is that the Motec clients are from all over the world. Sigh. Can't help everybody.

Wayne

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosan View Post
    Pete, do you use the ign comp tables for the guys who don't know Motec to help them get set up at idle?

In Texas, I'm right by a lake and would offer to tune anyones ski if they are close or want to travel in for the weekend. Lots to do. 2 Motec dealers closeby. What I've noticed though is that the Motec clients are from all over the world. Sigh. Can't help everybody.

Wayne
    Hi Wayne
    Thanks for your offers of help
    Yes it is frustrating to not be able to simple grab the laptop and go fix all these annoying problems, the reality is the best thing we can do is help people here at a level they can understand.

Yes I do use ign figures to help idle however its not normally needed with Jet Ski's as their base idle is so high.
    If the fuelling and ign figures are relatively stable around the desired idle rpm and the engine isnt running super rich on over run then a preset idle should be fine.
    Just think back to the carbi days and the throttle stop screw, once tuned we never had problems with those.

Idle control is one of the more diificult things for people to learn especially closed loop, and of all the mechanical methods that manufacturers use the stepper motor method is the most difficult to tune.
    I hate telling people to disconnect them but it really is the easiest way with out a skilled tuner and plenty of time to get it right.
    We are trying to write software to help make it easier for people to tune but its a large task and there are a tonne of other projects on the go at MoTeC at the moment and it comes down to a priority thing .
    Not my decision unfortunately

Any way good luck with your projects

Cheers

Last edited by MoTeC Pete; 06-12-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling as usual :)

Quote Originally Posted by wayneosan View Post

Wayne

Betting you're close to me
    Been ticking fishermen off at Lavon for a while now.

we should hook up then. I'm off 66 in Rockwall.

Motec Tuning

I've never tuned a jetski with the motec yet, I am a Motec tuner for a variety of cars. I dont know whether any of you with problems is close to me or not, I am in toledo ohio, i'm preety sure I could help you get some of the fueling and ignition tables setup accordingly. Just throwing that out there

Don

Thread Information