Possible charging issue

I have not had my skis on the water yet so every 2-3 weeks I have been putting the batteries on a trickle charger. I did this yesterday and the first ski charged for a little over an hour and then went into tend mode. I swapped the charger over to my ski and let it do its thing. I came back a little over an hour and it was still charging. I noticed a boiling sound coming from the battery. I really paid no mind to it and I let it keep charging. I came back an hour later and it was still in charge mode with the same boiling noise. By now the charger should of went into tend mode so I disconnected it.

What would cause this boiling sound and did I cause any harm to my battery? Is putting my batteries on a trickle charge every 2-3 weeks to much? Thanks for your help. I dont have a multimeter to check the actual battery voltage. I will be borrowing one from a co-worker tomorrow to see what the battery shows. Just trying to figure out if this is something I should be concerned with,

FWIW, this battery is in my PX and only has 1 hour on it (2008 model ski).

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What battery charger are you using?

Boiling the electrolyte is a sure sign of excessive charging.

It also reduces the remaining life of the battery. How much life remains would be hard to say.

A good quality battery should last much more than a couple of weeks without needing charging.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What battery charger are you using?

Boiling the electrolyte is a sure sign of excessive charging.

It also reduces the remaining life of the battery. How much life remains would be hard to say.

A good quality battery should last much more than a couple of weeks without needing charging.
    Its a Schumacher charger designed for lawn mowers and motorcycles. Ill see actually how much voltage is on it tomorrow and go from there. I doubt I caused to much damage to it, ill start hooking up the charger every 6 weeks or so. From now on ill only hook the charger up for 30-min to an hour instead of waiting for the charger to say its complete.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by use2vtec View Post
    Its a Schumacher charger designed for lawn mowers and motorcycles.

... From now on I'll only hook the charger up for 30-min to an hour instead of waiting for the charger to say its complete.
    Buy a good quality battery maintainer or Battery Tender. A basic Battery Tender model is maybe $25, and it will last for years.

Then you won't be trying to manually manage (guess) the amount of charge in the batteries, or how much is needed.

30 minutes every so often will either be too little charge, or too much. It is unlikely to be exactly correct, and each battery may have different charge needs.

It isn't just about voltage applied to the battery. When the voltage is applied, and in what time profile, is part of what makes a 'smart' charger smart.

Thread Information