Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Any other reefers?

Here is some pics of some of my stuff:

Duncans (one of my favorite corals)

Acans and an aptasia that my peppermint shrimp refuses to eat.

Blue spot jawfish

Acans and rics

Ora Blue SPS

Acans

Crocea clam

Zoanthids

People eaters

peeka-boo purple pseudochromis

Candycane

Scolymia

Blue spot jawfish

Pygmy cherub

Orange lobophelia

39G Cad Pro

purple firefish

29G Biocube

Riccodea

Oscellaris clownfish and rose bulb anemone

acans

Jawfish

Green birdsnest SPS

Acans

Blastomussa

Hammer

Pink palythoas

misc zoanthids including blue tubbs zoanthids in the back eagle-eye zoanthids to the right out of focus.

Blastomussa

Pink palys

Blue Maxima clams
    Last edited by caliburst; 05-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.

I actually lost a lot of nice stuff recently when I did a water change and then cranked up the heater and fell asleep. In the morning, the tank got up to nearly 89 degrees. A lot of nice stuff melted..
    O well. Shyt happens.
    Last edited by caliburst; 05-25-2010 at 08:56 PM.

+1
    James, that looks good. I would be excited to know who else is in the hobby too.

Good work, brother.

Lee Carlson had a 180G but I think he broke it down..

What are your thoughts on the deep sandbed? I feel like its a nitrate trap... I am currently just running will live-rock rubble and chaeto.

You said you too suspect that your deep sandbed led to nitrate problems if Im not mistaken..

edit.
    Last edited by caliburst; 05-25-2010 at 08:33 PM.

edit.
    Last edited by caliburst; 05-25-2010 at 08:33 PM.

+1
    In a reef tank, sand is not so bad because of the filtration of the live rock. On the other hand, with a load of fish, I would have no sand because it just drives nitrites up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    What are your thoughts on the deep sandbed? I feel like its a nitrate trap... I am currently just running will live-rock rubble and chaeto.

You said you too suspect that your deep sandbed led to nitrate problems if Im not mistaken..
    There are two major "vies" about sand depth. 1) large/deep sandbed. The though is to use the deep sandbed to create a more biological filtration method. 2) shallow sandbed/bare glass bottom.

I see benfits to both arguments, however, the deep sandbed can trap harmful bacteria as well as beneficial bacteria. I tried the deep bed in my frag tank (tank used to grow coral to sell/trade). It was approx 4 inches deep and was running for approx one year. One evening while looking at the frags, I noticed mini bubbles floating from the sand approx every three seconds. Bubbles = gas. Gas = nitrates. Nitrates = BAD. I turned the valve supplying water to the tank and removing the tank from the water cycle of my system. I removed all the frags and began to remove the sand. The sand appeared white on top, but it was an aweful brown when scooped, and quickly turned the water. I removed all the water, did a 50% waterchange in that 75 gallon tank, let the crap floating in that water settle, then turned the valve to reconnect the tank to the system. Bad experience. I don't like the bare bottom, because it is not natural looking, so I choose to put just enough sand to cover the bottom...not more than 1/2". Until someone convinces me, I will NOT use deep sand bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    The image above is from when the tank was first built. I am having second thoughts about using the side cabinets. They look very nice but they are big. It is nice to have a place to store all your stuff however... and we can place decorations on top of them...

The back of the tank is now tinted (automotive tint/film). This was an alternative to spraypainting it. I also have a black cover for the overflow so it will all blend in and disguise the pumbing.
    Window tint... I am anxious to see if any light comes through it. Maybe it will work!!!

I like the side cabinets, but don't put anything on top that would destract someone from looking at the tank. All the attention should go towards the tank...in my view.

Looks good, James. I really like it.

edit.
    Last edited by caliburst; 05-25-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information