Weird problem just got weirder...

Hello everyone!

I have a 2008 RXT with 30 hrs. on it.
    Took it to the Fla Keys in Jan 2009 when it had about 20 hrs. on it. Did a bunch of wave jumping and was running up close to the beach to get a good shot at the next waves. The machine was bumping off the rev limiter while in the air. I'm talking BIG air. It actually hurt when I was landing and the whole machine shook on impact. Sure was fun though. After a while it started to surge on hard acceleration real bad. I thought a bunch of sand might of gotten into the engine or intercooler and was causing problems. The dealer in Fla. said that won't happen.

Took it to my local dealer in the spring of 2009 and they said, no computer codes and nothing wrong. We had a crappy summer last year and I didn't use it until Labor Day 2009 in the 1,000 islands and was still surging. If I beat on it for 2-3 WOT runs it runs good again but after cruising it starts surging again then I have to beat on it to get it to run good. There's a marina in the 1,000 islands called Ed Huck marine. They have a pretty sharp Ski Doo tech and he hooked up and checked for codes, no codes. Rode it and thought the supercharger washers were gone.

Everyone with me so far???

I pulled the supercharger off today and as the hoses came off I was finding fresh water droplets in the hoses. The intercooler has some water in it also. 1/4" way back in. Pulled the supercharger off and about a tablespoon of water came out???? I think I found my surging (water going into the engine) and why if I beat on it 2-3 times it goes away. The water is getting cleaned out.

So my question is.....Where is the water coming from?????

Also, since the supercharger is off should I send it out for the updates??? The washers look perfect.

Thanks in advance, Jim

+1
    You have metal washers so unless you just want to upgrade to Riva washers I would leave them alone. My thought is the water may be coming from the intercooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    You have metal washers so unless you just want to upgrade to Riva washers I would leave them alone. My thought is the water may be coming from the intercooler.
    I really think you have a leaking intercooler.
    A bit of condensation in your intercooler is normal,but the amounts you have in your system,has all the symptons of a leaking intercooler.

Pull it out ,and put a garden hose on it,plug all the other holes,and see if it leaks.

Works fine,or do it professionally and pressuretest it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have a 2008 RXT with 30 hrs. on it.
    Took it to the Fla Keys in Jan 2009 when it had about 20 hrs. on it. Did a bunch of wave jumping and was running up close to the beach to get a good shot at the next waves. The machine was bumping off the rev limiter while in the air. I'm talking BIG air. It actually hurt when I was landing and the whole machine shook on impact. Sure was fun though. After a while it started to surge on hard acceleration real bad. I thought a bunch of sand might of gotten into the engine or intercooler and was causing problems. The dealer in Fla. said that won't happen.

Took it to my local dealer in the spring of 2009 and they said, no computer codes and nothing wrong. We had a crappy summer last year and I didn't use it until Labor Day 2009 in the 1,000 islands and was still surging. If I beat on it for 2-3 WOT runs it runs good again but after cruising it starts surging again then I have to beat on it to get it to run good. There's a marina in the 1,000 islands called Ed Huck marine. They have a pretty sharp Ski Doo tech and he hooked up and checked for codes, no codes. Rode it and thought the supercharger washers were gone.

Everyone with me so far???

I pulled the supercharger off today and as the hoses came off I was finding fresh water droplets in the hoses. The intercooler has some water in it also. 1/4" way back in. Pulled the supercharger off and about a tablespoon of water came out???? I think I found my surging (water going into the engine) and why if I beat on it 2-3 times it goes away. The water is getting cleaned out.

So my question is.....Where is the water coming from?????

Also, since the supercharger is off should I send it out for the updates??? The washers look perfect.

Thanks in advance, Jim
    You need to let off the throttle when in the air man, your gonna break your ski.

+1
    Probably what is happening is when you idle or go at slow speeds the intercooloer is leaking into the manifold. When you get it cleared out and run WOT the supercharger is putting out more boost (pressure) so the intercooler is not able to leak into the manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxcrazy23 View Post
    You need to let off the throttle when in the air man, your gonna break your ski.
    Yeah, I know.
    It's hard to let go when bracing for a big wave standing up and then big air.

Good call on the intercooler!!

I'll rig up a pressure regulator tomorrow and see if it holds.

Thanks, Jim

+1
    I have done some wave jumping myself. Probably not the kind you are talking about but Im guilty as well.

The ski is not made to do this for sure and If you do try your best to land it back end first so the ski does not have to sustain the "BOOM" shock it does of a flat landing.

+1 on the letting off the throttle when your midair.
    +1 on the intercooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Yeah, I know.
    It's hard to let go when bracing for a big wave standing up and then big air.

Good call on the intercooler!!

I'll rig up a pressure regulator tomorrow and see if it holds.

Thanks, Jim
    you need a finger throttle

its alot easyer to let go and hold on then with the thumb.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    you need a finger throttle

its alot easyer to let go and hold on then with the thumb.
    Yes it is +1
    I had a 2005 RXP and all id do was squeeze that thumb throttle down to hold on....Funny when you have your sister ride at 30mph and you see the ski jolting foward on impact...anyway...2008 RXPX finger throttle...much easier to let go or stay away from the limiter in the air while still holding on....

Thread Information