Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 Polaris SL 900 wont start??

I've got a 97 SL 900, ski ran great last summer. Just pulled it out of storage to get ready for the summer and she wonít turn over. It was winterized properly and kept inside a heated shop. I put in a new battery and new plugs. The problem Iím having is when I hit the start button it does nothing, I can hear one click coming from the box on top of the battery. Also a red light is flashing on the LED screen but I have no idea what itís trying to tell me cause only half the screen works. Any advise would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

+1
    welcome too the hulk!

you are sure the battery is fully charged? does your machine have the ignition update done too it?

I doubt it has the ignition update done to it, how would I be able to tell? The battery is good, I also tried jumper cables from my truck and got the same thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwatty View Post
    I doubt it has the ignition update done to it, how would I be able to tell? The battery is good, I also tried jumper cables from my truck and got the same thing.

jumping the battery from a truck or anything else is bad for the electronics on your ski, best way to do it is just charge teh battery if its weak..

if you do a search on the ignition systems for your red "domestic" motor there is alot of info

but if you take the e- box apart.. it splits into two.. and look at the cdi (black box with wires coming from it) ad check the part number i believe the part number ending in 447 is the update kit.. but if you post a clear photo members on here can varify

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I've got a 97 SL 900, ski ran great last summer. Just pulled it out of storage to get ready for the summer and she won’t turn over.

It was winterized properly and kept inside a heated shop. I put in a new battery and new plugs.

The problem I’m having is when I hit the start button it does nothing, I can hear one click coming from the box on top of the battery.

Also a red light is flashing on the LED screen but I have no idea what it’s trying to tell me cause only half the screen works...
    Welcome to the Hulk

Either the start solenoid relay has failed, or one of the heavy battery cable connections is bad.

FIRST, put a multi-meter on the battery posts, and record the lowest voltage when you press the start button. If that voltage is below 10.6 volts, then replace the battery.

With a good battery (over 10.6 volts while trying to start the engine), try starting the motor by jumping across the heavy terminals on the start solenoid;
    - Open the electrical box.
    N.B Be careful not to allow the shell of the box to short against the battery posts.

- Find the start solenoid. It will have two heavy red wires connected to studs. Use pliers or a screw driver to short between the two posts.
    There WILL be sparking, so use a firm hand to create a solid electrical connection between the two posts.
    Do NOT allow the tool to touch anything else inside the electrical box.

-If the engine now cranks over smartly, then the solenoid itself may be bad.

- If shorting the two heavy red wire solenoid terminals together does NOT crank the engine, then you may have a bad wire connection;

Remove and clean both ends of all three heavy battery cables. That includes the cable to the starter motor. Re-attach all cables, then try starting again.

Thank you ryandi2 and K447, I will use your advise later today and post back the results.

Well.. couldn't get her going last night. The battery tested good, I tried jumping the solenoid terminal and got no spark. I cleaned and re-fastened all cable connections, still a no go. The machine does not have the ignition update. When I hit the start button I get the red light on the screen and the word FUEL comes up on the screen. I don't see any gas being dumped in the carbs. Is there some kind of sensor or something that’s not allowing it to turn over?

+1
    post some pics of the inside of the ebox..

are you postitive the gas knob is on..
    make sure all your lines are hooked up.. and if they are grey tempo lines they need too be replaced..

i donot think the low fuel is your issue.. you should be able too crank it when there is no fuel..

you ether need a update kit or the stop button where you put your key under is bad.. this happens once and a while from what i have read.. but im not sure if this is your issue..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The battery tested good
    How exactly did you test the battery?

I tried jumping the solenoid terminal and got no spark.

I cleaned and re-fastened all cable connections, still a no go.
    Does that include the end connected to the starter motor stud, under the exhaust manifold?
    Also removed, cleaned, and re-fastened the engine block connection?

The machine does not have the ignition update.
    Doesn't matter for a no-crank condition

When I hit the start button I get the red light on the screen and the word FUEL comes up on the screen.

I don't see any gas being dumped in the carbs. Is there some kind of sensor or something thatís not allowing it to turn over?
    So the MFD seems to be working - good.

Is the safety lanyard in place on the handlebar?
    It probably doesn't matter for cranking, but it should be in place.

Do you have a multi-meter?

Put one probe on the engine block where there is bare metal.

Put the other probe on each heavy red wire terminal of the start solenoid, while pressing the Start button. Check one post, then the other.

Tell us what voltages you register on each post.

Here is some pics of the inside of the ebox. There's fuel in it, the gas knob is on and the lanyard is attached. Even without gas or a key it should still try to turn over. Had a mechanic neighbor test the battery, I donít have a multi meter and Iím not sure what kinda tester he was using. I did get to the connection on the start motor as well, awful place for that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00070.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	544.5 KB 
ID:	179920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00071.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	472.4 KB 
ID:	179921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00073.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	511.8 KB 
ID:	179922  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information