+1

A different type of GPS mount.

I've got a Garmin Oregon 400c that I want to mount right on top of the glove box on my RXT, using this mount:

http://www.onecall.com/ImageCache/Ga..._400x400_s.jpg

Obviously I'd have to drill screw holes through the plastic to bolt it onto the glove box top. However, I'd like the glove box to remain as waterproof as it is now. Has anyone tried anything like this? Can anyone recommend a silicone sealant product that I could use around the screw holes that will adhere well to plastic?

Thanks,

-TheEngineer

+1
    buy the glove box cover that hold the garmin map 76 and be done with it tring to rig something else just is'nt going to look right the map 76 unit does a great job you can get many styles to fit your need do'nt try to reinvent the wheel use the kiss method

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by idoodou View Post
    buy the glove box cover that hold the garmin map 76 and be done with it tring to rig something else just is'nt going to look right the map 76 unit does a great job you can get many styles to fit your need do'nt try to reinvent the wheel use the kiss method
    Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of the 76 model. My Oregon 400c has a much better display res and built in coastal charts. It should be an easy job anyway. I'm just looking for recommendations on a sealant to use for the screw holes.

Banned User
    +1
    brand name=permatex product name= right stuff. comes highly recommended on these forums to seal ridplates, thru-hull, intake grates, block-offs. i've used it for all those and recommend it as well! little pricy but sets up fast and does its job

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of the 76 model. My Oregon 400c has a much better display res and built in coastal charts. It should be an easy job anyway. I'm just looking for recommendations on a sealant to use for the screw holes.

+1

i have the colorado 400c and its a great GPS, I was going to use garmins handle bar mount but i dont mind you idea. post pics if you do go this route.

+1
    I did the same thing you're looking to do. I don't have a picture though. I didn't use any type of silicone, haven't had any problems, but I would put a little basic marine silcone on the top of the bolt and the bottom (both sides of the glove box cover). Also make sure you use SS bolts and nuts or they will rust first time out. Don't ask how I know....

do they offer anything like the rxt for the rxpx?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    +1

i have the colorado 400c and its a great GPS, I was going to use garmins handle bar mount but i dont mind you idea. post pics if you do go this route.
    No problem. I should have it done next weekend. I'll put some pics up then.

Thread Information