ReadyforSpring

ZXI 1100 electrical question

I am looking for some advice about the electrical system on my ZXI 1100. My speedometer doesnt work, so I am trying to trace the lines to see if it is disconnected. Does anyone know which line(s) I need to trace and connect? Which colors do I need to look for?

ReadyforSpring
    Anyone around the Kenner/ New Orleans area that has experience working on Kawa ZXI 1100s? Mine is running good, but would like someone to check it to make sure there is no unforseen problems lurking within.

I have the same ski, does all the rest of your gauges work and do you have the manual? All the gauges are plugged into the wiring harness that goes to the ECU under the handlebars. So to check that, you would need to take the console off to get access to the correct wires.

ReadyforSpring
    yes all other gauges and lights work, thats why im thinking it is disconnected. No i dont have the manual, does it have the wiring scheme in there? if so, i will purchase one.

Yes it does, if you do a search here their are people here who have links where you can down load it. If you pull the console off to get to the gauge console you can trace the wire back without the manual. It is just two wires coming from the speedo to a boot under the handlebars, then you can check to see if it is unplugged.

If it isn't you might have a bad speedo which you can test, if it test good then test the wiring in the harness to see if it is being sent power to those wires.

ReadyforSpring

thanks

thanks for the info. I will check the speedo. The man I bought it from ssaid he couldnt get it working, but he did also say he didnt try too hard. I see you have the same ski as me. I love mine. I seen in another thread of yours that you replace the engine and carbs. I would like to hear how it runs once you drop that new engine in.

I have a couple mods to my ski that has drastically improved the quality of the ride (some food for thought if you are looking to add more mods). I had the engine tuned up a couple weeks ago. i had 2 engine leaks inside the hull, got those fixed. I have new titanium spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new distributer cap, a wet wolf adjust-a-thrust tailcone and shuttles, R&D intake and ride plate, new aggressor sponsons, solas concord 13/19 impeller and new impeller shaft, rebuilt my jet pump, new hand grips, along with some painting I have done to it. cant wait till spring so I can ride it constantly.

I have the new engine in now. I have been breaking it in this week and tuning it. Almost there but it will just take time. I have some mods I have done to mine as well. They are listed in my signature. Plus some other cosmetic things I have done and replaced. Pretty pretty everything is brand new from the motor, to the fuel and cooling lines, gauges, lights, electrical, trim and so on. What isn't new is rebuilt, a lot didn't need it but since I bought this ski off someone with a seized motor I thought it would be best to replace everything I thought could pose problems now when I had the motor out.

+1
    Did you check the speedo sensor at the back of the ski? I had one that stopped spinning. The pin was bent and it prevented the paddle wheel from spinning.

ReadyforSpring
    yea i checked the speedo wheel. It spins freely. Thats why Im thinking I have a disconnected/ cut wire on the speedo sensor.I checked the wiring from the speedo wheel to the inside of the hull, but when it goes into the plastic sheething, I lose it. I will be downloading the manual so I can check the colors of the speedo wiring.

Thread Information