Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

dual prong spark plugs in my 900zxi

I am getting ready to get my Kawasaki 900ZXi back into running order and I was wondering if I could use those dual pronged spark plugs in it? Last year I was burning up plugs every time I turned around So, that is why I want a stronger plug in there. I am also putting performance spark plug wires in this spring and taking out the ones that had been in there for 14 years (when it was made).

any thoughts?

not sure if you are thinking like the splitfire plugs??

just remember to make 100% sure the HEAT RANGE is the same, fastest way to hole a piston is with a shitty too hot plug.

The SeaDoo I have prefers a pair of NGK's per weekend,, nature of the beast,, But if you shop smart you can buy them by the box and save $$$$$$

+1
    Junk, Stick with BR9ES NGK Plugs

+1
    2, 3, and 4 electrode plugs are used to increase plug life, not improve performance. The spark will only jump to one electrode at a time. The more electrodes, the more likely fouling is, too.

What do you mean when you say you were "I was burning up plugs every time I turned around"? I've never seen one of these engines wear out a set of plugs, but 2-strokes foul them frequently if the carbs aren't set up right.

I'm still running the original plugs on my 1999 Ultra 150.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    2, 3, and 4 electrode plugs are used to increase plug life, not improve performance. The spark will only jump to one electrode at a time. The more electrodes, the more likely fouling is, too.

What do you mean when you say you were "I was burning up plugs every time I turned around"? I've never seen one of these engines wear out a set of plugs, but 2-strokes foul them frequently if the carbs aren't set up right.

I'm still running the original plugs on my 1999 Ultra 150.
    well, i would get new plugs and after about 4 hours of use they were already junk... It would develop a really bad miss and would have no power. I think it's the wires, they are getting changed before it goes back in the water

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998232v6 View Post
    well, i would get new plugs and after about 4 hours of use they were already junk... It would develop a really bad miss and would have no power. I think it's the wires, they are getting changed before it goes back in the water
    Try trimming the spark plug wires back about 1/2" on the plug end. They tend to break wires and corrode inside. If that doesn't work, them replace them.

What do they look like when you pull them? Have you tried cleaning the plugs?

update: Found problem

Well, me and my dad installed a new Kawasaki fuel filter that I got off eBay for $24(great deal, the dealer wanted $60). The ski was having trouble getting gas in the filter, this was why I was fouling out so many plugs . Well, my dad got the idea to blow into the tank and see what happens. As I was looking in I saw gas shoot out of this little 1 inch hose that went to where the motor tells the ski how much gas to send. The hole was only present when you gave it throttle(pressure), hence why I had no idea it was there. We got new hose, started it up, and wallah! No more missing and the plugs are not fouling anymore!

Problem solved !!

Could you post a pic of 1"hose and its location please ?

yeah, here you go. It's the green/yellow see through hose. On stock kawasaki's it will be black just like all the other fuel lines. Mine is that color because it was all the auto store had and it was free haha. I have no doubt in my mind that any of those hoses can get a tear in them and cause fuel issues after going through this year long experience of problems. This one only showed fuel loss under pressure, that is why it took so long to find. I hope this helps. As for a reference area, you can see the fuel filter in the picture.

I think the dirty hull would be a give away you had leaking fuel or oil. That looks like the fuel line that runs from the fuel send that goes to #3 carb from the T that goes to the 1st carb. So yea, if you had a pin hole in it then yea you would lose fuel pressure since that is the part of the fuel line that gets to the carbs first from the filter. So since you are not running premix you get more oil then gas and foul plugs. If you paid $24 for that filter you still got ripped off, but looks like a really sturdy filter. So may be worth the price.

You really should be using safety wire instead of zip ties especially on fuel and oil lines. If you must at least cut back the over hang. Those things can whip around and damage lines if not cut back. Which may be how you got the hole to start with. Also zip ties can cause the lines to slip off if you are getting water, gas, oil leaking in the hull.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information