Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New guy with two issues: Depth transducer & Flush connection

Hi to all, I'm a new member, but like Tiny, spent some time in the APBA world. About a million years ago I raced B Racing Runabout with a Konig engine..... Had a lot of fun but then worked in nuclear engineering for the govt. for 35 years. I've been playing with Seadoos for several years now and just picked up a 03 GTX SC on Craig's list with 50 hours and not a scratch for $5000.

First issue, I did notice some cavitation coming out to the hole. I saw some wear on the wear ring, so I'm guessing that's the problem, but I also found the freshwater flush connection in the stearn had the valve open. Can you suck some air into the pump if this valve is left open? It seemed like a possibility if it goes into a low pressure area of the pump. I haven't studied the cooling system enough yet to figure it out.

Next issue. My GTX isn't a LTD, so it doesn't have a depth sounder, but one would be nice to have. Seadoo wants something like $400 for the transducer. Well, transducers and depth sounders aren't rocket science. If we knew the frequency of the unit that's built into our skis (probably 50, 80, or 200kHz) then it should be a simple installation to hook one up and get the dealer to turn it on for us. Does anyone have any more information on the frequency or output power of the installed system? I'd be happy to make mine work, once we have the background info, and share how to do it here.

I have added a factory tach to my Explorer when I installed the 720 vice the 587 engine. I also hooked a factory speedometer on my SPX and installed the factory speed sender and made it all work.

Thanks so much to Green Hulk and all you folks for making a great site for our skis! Mike

Mike, Welcome to the Forum!

a worn wear ring will def give ya cavatation, also check the prop for burns and damage.

I`m pretty sure the factory depth gauge has a puck and a module and gets wired into the system then actiuvated using the BUDS VCK to read out on the LCD screen. I`m sure others will chime in and get ya squared away.

the flush connector/valve that goes in to the top of the J-pipe?
    is for flushing the exhaust...Enjoy the board Bro!...PR...

the fitting on the pump support for connecting a water hose to flush is the main outlet for the water that has circulated through the exhaust manifold, only a small portion of it is injected into the exhaust at the waterbox. It should be left open!

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    hey
    Ive wire 2 SD depths sensor in now and have also wondered if there was a cheaper alternative. taping the wireing harness is easy. just follow the diagram in the shop manual. its only a few wires.

the factory sea-doo depth sensor is a airmar p79. 235khz I think
    http://www.airmartechnology.com/XRef...on&SSFormat=on
    there like around $100 if you can find the right cross refferance.

Post what info you can find out.

Someone read the tag on theres and post it. mine if kinda unreadable.
    Last edited by rapidacceleration; 09-11-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Thank for the info so far....

Hey thanks guys, I didn't see a module on the GTX LTD, so I assumed that the depth sounder was just a transducer (part number 278001603). It looks like I need to do some more checking. Interesting on the flush connection valve. I couldn't find anything that even mentioned a valve in the owner's manual online. Good to know. Thanks again, Mike

More thanks!

Danial, Your reply came in while I was answering the first two.... Thanks, I couldn't find a p79 listed on that site. I know that factory parts are sometime WAY over priced. I needed a circuit breaker for a Honda generator. It was $65 from Honda, I bought the exact replacement from Newmark Electronics for less than $3. I'd love to find out what all we need to make it happen. The only price I found for the Factory depth sounder (one piece) was $415. So even $100 is a lot better. I hope we can figure this out, I'm sure several of us would like to add that feature. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by skikodiak
    Next issue. My GTX isn't a LTD, so it doesn't have a depth sounder, but one would be nice to have. Seadoo wants something like $400 for the transducer.
    I'm using this depth finder:
    http://www.shopnorcrossmarine.com/se...nder%2C/Detail

I attached to the transome and it works great. Has audible alarm you can set to keep a check on getting too shallow. Someone else on the forum was using one too.

I have two of the Norcross Marine kits if anyone wants one. They are both new- not refurbished, I decided to trade ski's before I ever got around to installing them. $90 shipped for the one that has not been opened, $80 for the one that I looked at. PM me

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    hey i updated the link.

it has 4 wires
    Last edited by rapidacceleration; 09-11-2006 at 09:20 PM.

Daniel, is a tranducer all that there is to the kit or is there another piece of electronics? I was thinking that the whole depth finder system was in the kit and the display was integrated into the factory gauges.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information