Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Mini Digital Display (MDD)

Mr Gary has convinced me to try this out.
    It will be fitted up next week with a couple of other things, ei. GPS, Lambda and a hi psi wheel (still waiting for the C6 to come back). Poor credit card

Question: Has anyone around here used this little display yet?

The Sport Dash Logger (SDL) has some fanastic features but I don't need or want 8 meg of logging. And I don't mind keeping the OEM dash with this little display sitting on the handlebars. All I want to see is mainly Lambda, along with revs and speed.

Here is the link:http://www.motec.com/mdd/mddoverview/

And the write-up:
    The Mini Digital Display (MDD) is a small satellite display, compact enough to mount on the steering wheel, but it can also be mounted in a more conventional position. Typical applications for the MDD are as a display for a MoTeC ECU or the ACL or EDL3 data logging systems that do not have a built in display.
    MoTeC data loggers and 'hundred series' ECUs connect to the MDD via CAN and the M4 and M48 ECUs connect via a single wire serial connection.
    The MDD input kit is available, which allows for connecting of up to five push buttons or rotary analogue switches.

Compatible with

• ADL3, EDL3, SDL, ACL
    • M400, M600, M800, M880 (software version V2.11D and later)
      If using the MDD input kit, software version V3.4 and later is required
    • M4, M48 (software version V6.21B and later). Not compatible with MDD input kit
    MDD used with a data logger

When the MDD is connected to a data logger it is configured using the logger's manager software in the same way as a logger with a built-in display would be configured. This allows any channel to be displayed in the various screen locations and provides multiple display pages (Race, Warm-up and Practice). The MDD can also show alarm messages.
    The MDD has a number of screen layouts providing a balance between text size and the amount of information displayed. Some screen layouts include a bar graph for the Lap gain/loss function or for a tachometer. A special layout is available for showing eight values such as exhaust temperatures in a bar graph format.
    Page control and bottom line scrolling is provided via buttons connected to the data logger, or, if using the MDD input kit, via buttons connected to the MDD which sends the button information to the logger via CAN.
    MDD used with an ECU

When the MDD is connected to an ECU the display has a number of fixed layouts with multiple pages. A push button connected to the MDD allows selection of the display page and switching between two modes of operation as follows:
    • Normal mode shows RPM, speed, engine temperature, and gear. The bottom line may be toggled to show a number of different values including lap time, air temperature, MAP and many more.
    • Tuning mode shows information that is useful for tuning such as RPM, throttle position, Lambda etc. There are a number of different display pages showing different parameters including a diagnostics page.
    Basic Specifications

Inputs

• 5 x Analogue/switch inputs when used with the input kit, trim pots or switches. More inputs are available with custom wiring.
    • No inputs on standard MDD
    Communications

• 1 x CAN
    • 1 x Serial logic level
    Display

• Dot matrix backlit graphics LCD
    • Adjustable backlight brightness (not available when used with an ECU)
    Physical

• Dimensions 86 x 59.5 x 22 mm excluding connector
    • Weight 120 gram
    • 1 x 6 pin Deutsch DTM connector, flying lead

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    That's sweet....whats the price on that one??

+1
    I have looked into this its fairly cheap if I am not mistaken around $900 compared to the SDL.

The only issue I think their is with MDD is the size of screen, its too small and its not waterproof nor resistant (I think).

2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by AD4342 View Post
    I have looked into this its fairly cheap if I am not mistaken around $900 compared to the SDL.

The only issue I think their is with MDD is the size of screen, its too small and its not waterproof nor resistant (I think).

2 cents
    EEeeeeeeeK.....FFS

Guess I'm sticking with my factory/analog gauges and PET tach.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    EEeeeeeeeK.....FFS

Guess I'm sticking with my factory/analog gauges and PET tach.......
    LOL

I know how you feel RIP. It's horrifying every time someone says to you "need to try this".

I don't have an Aussie price for the display yet but I'll let everyone know when I get it.

But the mini dash will let me keep an eye on lambda in real time, which is my biggest worry. Look what happened to me last time my motor pinged it's guts out. Lost #2 piston and I got to enjoy a new engine rebuild with forged pistons and K1 rods.

The other reason for going the way of the dash is that all of the information "I see" can be later related back to the logged data and can be analysised by everyone who is willing to help.

I'm probably the dumbest shit on the forum when it comes to all this stuff but the cross referances from what I see on the dash and the data log will help a lot in my learning curve.

The price is high but like your super build (which I love btw) it's just a cost of technology and playing at the top end of the game.

Besides, I can use all this in my drag car later this year (which I know even less about).

I looked at it. and looked at it some more. Then I finally gave in to a SDL for the cost with all of the other features in it, size of the display and water resistance.

+1
    I just got a price off the G for the Mini dash and at $1500AUD I'll just go for the (no logged data) Big Dash @ $2300AUD.

Logged data will cost another $1300AUD. For the Bridge To Bridge race I only need a few channels opened for logging the 25 minute race. So I'll pass on this as well.

I guess the mini-dash is priced at a point that if you REALLY needed a small dash (say motorbike or carts) and no extra logging (you already run a M400 etc) then it would be a PERFECT solution. But I don't.

So the big dash will get used for my BigPig and later down the track my Rotary powered VW Eureka kit car which will be used for 1/8th and 1/4 mile racing.

If anyone does fit the Mini-dash I would still like to find out your thoughts on it all.

Sorry the direction change but that's the "Gunna" in me

PS. I'm not bitching about pricing as I think if your into R&D for a living these prices are just a cost of business. However I'm just a backyarder and don't really need these features for this particular project. Motec is still a top of the range product range with great backup for those of us who are a "little" obssesive about our Yami's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    LOL

I know how you feel RIP. It's horrifying every time someone says to you "need to try this".

I don't have an Aussie price for the display yet but I'll let everyone know when I get it.

But the mini dash will let me keep an eye on lambda in real time, which is my biggest worry. Look what happened to me last time my motor pinged it's guts out. Lost #2 piston and I got to enjoy a new engine rebuild with forged pistons and K1 rods.

The other reason for going the way of the dash is that all of the information "I see" can be later related back to the logged data and can be analysised by everyone who is willing to help.

I'm probably the dumbest shit on the forum when it comes to all this stuff but the cross referances from what I see on the dash and the data log will help a lot in my learning curve.

The price is high but like your super build (which I love btw) it's just a cost of technology and playing at the top end of the game.
    Thx Gunna .....yeah...I'm sry......I wasn't complaing about the price............I'm just reaching the end of my build....so the combination of max expense with no riding time is wearing me a little. But good things come to those who wait. Fortis fortuna Adiuvat..... It'll be worth it fo SHO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I looked at it. and looked at it some more. Then I finally gave in to a SDL for the cost with all of the other features in it, size of the display and water resistance.
    You made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    I just got a price off the G for the Mini dash and at $1500AUD I'll just go for the (no logged data) Big Dash @ $2300AUD.

Logged data will cost another $1300AUD. For the Bridge To Bridge race I only need a few channels opened for logging the 25 minute race. So I'll pass on this as well.

I guess the mini-dash is priced at a point that if you REALLY needed a small dash (say motorbike or carts) and no extra logging (you already run a M400 etc) then it would be a PERFECT solution. But I don't.

So the big dash will get used for my BigPig and later down the track my Rotary powered VW Eureka kit car which will be used for 1/8th and 1/4 mile racing.

If anyone does fit the Mini-dash I would still like to find out your thoughts on it all.

Sorry the direction change but that's the "Gunna" in me

PS. I'm not bitching about pricing as I think if your into R&D for a living these prices are just a cost of business. However I'm just a backyarder and don't really need these features for this particular project. Motec is still a top of the range product range with great backup for those of us who are a "little" obssesive about our Yami's.
    Enjoying ur build as well Gunna.......
    obsessive? What does that mean?!!?

How much does that cost is US...whats the conversion rate?

Base SDL was around $1,900 USD if I recall correctly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Base SDL was around $1,900 USD if I recall correctly.
    Actually its:

MoTeC Sport Dash - non logging

$2,770.00

From Jerry's store less the 10% discount. +another $400USD for the extra loom. + $????.00 for the password for the 8meg logging if you want to open it.

I think you got a deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information