+1

re program stock ecu

Has anyone looked into getting one done? It can be done for the ecu's on Mercruiser engines by Whipple, Precision Marine and several others for $300, I have a hard time paying $1500 for the RR unit! Even a new ecu for my Raptor 660 only costs $100 so what gives?

Never thought of that buy I will look into it. What preformance gains did you see on your Raptor

+1
    Unfortunately, the ECU's cannot be programmed at this time. Rotax Racing claims they will never be programmable either.

well, it's a bit more complicated than a raptor's ecu. In fact the raptor doesn't really have an ecu, it just has an ignition module with a standard ignition map based on rpm.

+1
    I have to admit, over a grand is a steep price and of course being the only gig in town and what the market will pay...he is right in that it seems to be highly priced. A lot of the aftermarket ECU's and even factory replacements aren't that much.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    well, it's a bit more complicated than a raptor's ecu. In fact the raptor doesn't really have an ecu, it just has an ignition module with a standard ignition map based on rpm.
    Thomas,
    You have a good point but its no more complicated than the Mercruiser MEFI system, I have on stage II Pro Charger on my Fountain and had the ecu done by Mark with Precision Marine in Kenner, LA. The new Mercruiser 496 Mag ecu was said to be one that could not be flashed but Dustin at Whipple has the software to do it. I am sure it can be done but there may not be enough consumer demand to justify someone spending the time on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrsrxp
    Never thought of that buy I will look into it. What preformance gains did you see on your Raptor
    Jrs,
    My throttle response and top end improved and it raised the rev limiter 1000 rpm.

From what glen at PPG told me was the new stock ECU has arev limited set at 8400rpm and is not as rich ar the Racing ECU. They way you can pitch the impellers for more top end. so does that mean that by it not being the RR ECU it xhuld be cheeper correct but not LOL

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    The problem is that will all the DESS bullshit being in the same box it's VERY expensive to develop such modules.

I remember back in the day there was a trend in car moding that wasn't about modifying the module itself but put an additional module to actually fool the stock module by sending it different datas so the stock module reacts to it in the way you want it to react.

The good part was that you could instal and remove it in minutes.

Very convenient when you sell it (or warranty claims)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 11
    The problem is that will all the DESS bullshit being in the same box it's VERY expensive to develop such modules.

I remember back in the day there was a trend in car moding that wasn't about modifying the module itself but put an additional module to actually fool the stock module by sending it different datas so the stock module reacts to it in the way you want it to react.

The good part was that you could instal and remove it in minutes.

Very convenient when you sell it (or warranty claims)
    That was the way Whipple did all their EFI kits in the early days, now you pull your existing ecu and send it to them.

Thread Information