Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

260x reliability mods??

I am buying a 2009 260x for my girlfriend/big water ski. Is there any reliability issues that should be fixed right up front? I have heard briefly of the driveshaft shifting back into the engine and ruining internals. Supposedly this happened to several stock Ultras at Mark Hahn last year?????? I am going to do a few mods:

intake
    exhaust
    rideplate
    lx trim ring
    steering setup
    seat cover
    lifter wedges

Any advice about those mods would be great too! Thanks!

+1
    The driveshaft on the 2010 will have the double bearing set up to stop the shifting problem, so far people have done the 2010 shaft and conass mod with no problems..Now for performance all you have listed will help and the biggest improvment will be the ride plate but If you do a lot of rough riding I would stick to the stock plate or an R&D, if not the Riva plate will give you the most gains in the flats.

I would do the 2010 Drive shaft upgrade before the boat even touches the water! At 25 hours replace the spark plugs. Put some grease or anti seize on the threads B 4 you re install. 7 ft lbs max! You should be able to get 50 hours on the 2nd set . . .

For some reason a fair amount of us break the spark plugs when removing them; leaving the threaded portion of the plug stuck in the head.

Lifter Wedges good in the ocean. Other items you mentioned are either cosmetic or rider preference.

+1
    why spark plugs ive never had a problem with them failing

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I would do the 2010 Drive shaft upgrade before the boat even touches the water! At 25 hours replace the spark plugs. Put some grease or anti seize on the threads B 4 you re install. 7 ft lbs max! You should be able to get 50 hours on the 2nd set . . .

For some reason a fair amount of us break the spark plugs when removing them; leaving the threaded portion of the plug stuck in the head.

Lifter Wedges good in the ocean. Other items you mentioned are either cosmetic or rider preference.

+1
    Why is everyone *always* changing plugs fer-crisakes?

My never-been-apart 96 zxi1100 is still running it's original 14 YEAR OLD plugs. Of course it only manages to fire right up immediately and run dead even with my 70hr 12f.

Must be some weird "science" to this plug business, that passes right over my head, I guess.

Is there a worse way to gauge performance changes, other than engine misfire, than by the seat of the your pants?

Methink a GPS and tach....with some little allowance for chop, temp, load and elevation tells me all I really need to know!

Sorry about the rant......bit off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Why is everyone *always* changing plugs fer-crisakes?

My never-been-apart 96 zxi1100 is still running it's original 14 YEAR OLD plugs. Of course it only manages to fire right up immediately and run dead even with my 70hr 12f.

Must be some weird "science" to this plug business, that passes right over my head, I guess.

Is there a worse way to gauge performance changes, other than engine misfire, than by the seat of the your pants?

Methink a GPS and tach....with some little allowance for chop, temp, load and elevation tells me all I really need to know!

Sorry about the rant......bit off topic
    Here's some reputable comments from another Site re: the Plugs. If it does happen, ruins the day, week, or month (guess it depends how quick you can get the broken Plug out of the head) . . . .

Corrosion would do that, but also carbon built up and/or not using anti-seizure are also the possiblity. It's a good idea to remove plugs once a season just to check/clean and apply anti-seizure or high temp grease on the threads to prevent this kind of headache.

Inch....feel your frustration.
    Tough one.
    Was the engine cold when you had the plug snap?
    Obviously there is an inherent weakness in these plugs......and good-quality anti-seize should be mandatory, right from the factory, with this type of plug/aluminum/temp combination.

+1
    I agree with removal at least once a year and a swipe of anti-seize....

But, after all the comments about the Kawasaki 4stroke plug breakage I was scared to death when removing the 12f plugs.......but they came out easily.

Just haven't seen the need for new plugs very often.

how hard is it to pull the driveshaft-- who is doing the mods to them? impros? koonass?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by codymouse54321 View Post
    how hard is it to pull the driveshaft-- who is doing the mods to them? impros? koonass?
    It's not the driveshaft, it's the internal jet pump shaft!

gotcha- Sorry- I have not read through all the posts about it. Whats the turn around time on it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information