+1

Exclamation SHO rideplate questions ?????

i have a 08 Sho. and with the oem ride plate the ski seems to ride more bow down causing a slower top speed the other aftermarket plates. but, it also gives you more stability when riding 2 or 3 up.
    i also have the r&d plate. it looks alot shorter than the oem plate. which i have only run on the ski without shims or spacers. just bolt it on and go. with that plate the speedo is within 1.5 mph of my gps.
    but, riding 2 up. it feels very wobbly sorta feels like the rider is leaning against me in turns and the straight away.
    i want to get more speed. and i have read that if you mod the r&d plate via jims service. you are at risk to exposing the pump to cavitation.
    i have also heard of using a vx plate too. but has anyone done any side by side comparisons of the r&d plate and the oem vx plate?
    i would use the r&d plate for smooth water application and my oem plate for rougher water/offshore and rec. riding. has anyone had there oem plate modified my jims service or island racing?
    if so, can you post your results. i am looking for the gains or losses using the different plates.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    i have a 08 Sho. and with the oem ride plate the ski seems to ride more bow down causing a slower top speed the other aftermarket plates. but, it also gives you more stability when riding 2 or 3 up.
    i also have the r&d plate. it looks alot shorter than the oem plate. which i have only run on the ski without shims or spacers. just bolt it on and go. with that plate the speedo is within 1.5 mph of my gps.
    but, riding 2 up. it feels very wobbly sorta feels like the rider is leaning against me in turns and the straight away.
    i want to get more speed. and i have read that if you mod the r&d plate via jims service. you are at risk to exposing the pump to cavitation.
    i have also heard of using a vx plate too. but has anyone done any side by side comparisons of the r&d plate and the oem vx plate?
    i would use the r&d plate for smooth water application and my oem plate for rougher water/offshore and rec. riding. has anyone had there oem plate modified my jims service or island racing?
    if so, can you post your results. i am looking for the gains or losses using the different plates.
    Modded R&D SHO plate very fast but loose, VX plate only fits on the FZR-FZS not on the SHO, Best bang for the buck is get your stock SHO plate modded very good gains and handles awesome. Just my 2 cents Wait for more results people should start posting.

+1
    I have just fitted jims plate and had a very good gain in mph

it seems to bring the rear end in line more(better tracking) and as stable(if not slightly better) as the stock plate for solo riding in mild chop(1-2 foot).
    2 up riding was also fine and i did not feel as if i lost any of the sho's wetted area and felt secure at speed and not nose light.

only had plate on for one tide/ride and that was two up for thirty miles with a few miles solo speed runs in mega calm waters...all felt good..

very happy that i gained speed 2+ and did not loose stability on her,yet to hammer it in rough waters

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Modded R&D SHO plate very fast but loose, VX plate only fits on the FZR-FZS not on the SHO, Best bang for the buck is get your stock SHO plate modded very good gains and handles awesome. Just my 2 cents Wait for more results people should start posting.
    Working with Jim, I have tried them all and the most bang for the buck is Jim's modded stock and gained 2.7 mph.

I don't even use modded R & D anymore. Too loose for me and the ski overstuff's without shims. The modded R & D gave me another .5 mph, but IMO is not worth spending the money for that sort of gain.

I rarely run 2 and 3 up. But what the OP is describing is what I have experienced.

+1
    I also have both the R&D & stock plate modded by Jim.

Modded R&D: Faster in flat water but you'll have to shim the back to control the bounce & tune the handling to your preference. It will probably buck with no shims. It makes the ski more nimble & carves better in high speed hard turns but is horrible for hookup offshore.

Modded stocker: Felt more stable in the chop than it did before the mods, even 2 up, but seems to lose a little hookup commpared to how it handled before the machining. The stock plate, even after the mods, doesn't carve real well. It takes more steering input to get the ski to turn in & then it hooks hard all of the sudden. I haven't had a chance to test it back to back with an unmodded stock plate, but there is definately a top speed gain.

I just swap back & forth between the 2 plates...modded stocker for offshore & modded R&D for the rivers.

+1
    Gordon, just have Jim mod your stocker. You don't have to give up hardly anything in handling. You will easily pick up 2.5 to 2.7 miles per hour in a back to back test. No BS.

Thread Information