Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Overstuffing...Limited to higher performance skis?

Hey y'all, new member, first ski. I've been reading the board for a few months to get a feel for pwc ownership, looking for info you just won't get during a rental. Lot of good stuff out there.

So this whole overstuffing thing...Hadn't heard of it before I bought the VX, but it definitely seems to be a problem on the fastest skis, and I just saw the thread about the 2010 SHO bucking at 55 mph on flat water. I've had it up to about 51 on GPS, uncorrected for the headcurrent/headwind that day (figure it'll do about 53 in calm), and I'm wondering what the chances of this happening to me are. Is this something the VXs tend to be susceptible to, also? Or do we just stay so low in the speed range that it's never really an issue unless some moron intentionally tries to buck?

No way I'd consider selling it just because of something it might do one day, but I'm still curious as to how much precaution I should take while riding.

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk!

You picked a controversial topic for post #1.

For the record, I've never been bucked--yet.

+1
    The FZR/S & GPR are the only late model Yamahas that I've heard of this happening in stock form...due to the tunnel/intake grate design. You don't need to worry about it on a VX. That post about the SHO is the only one I've ever heard of on that model in stock form.

Welcome to the forum.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    The FZR/S & GPR are the only Yamahas that I've heard of this happening in stock form...due to the tunnel/intake grate design. You don't need to worry about it on a VX. That post about the SHO is the only one I've ever heard of on that model in stock form.

Welcome to the forum.
    +1 to Mark's post...and welcome.

Well i dont think Yamaha ever made a good intake grate on my xlt when it was stock if you chopped the throttle at full speed (54 gps stock) it would make a left hook and try to throw you off at that speed you can still get hurt. Then after alot of mods it ran 71.8 and you could chop the throttle at full speed and with the r&d intake grate it never did it again I personally would not run any yamaha ski with a stock grate the gpr and fzs have been know to do this as well in stock form with a good scoop grate the ski stays hooked better as well and is safer. Ron

+1
    from what I've read there seems to be two ways that it can happen
    the first way is the buck where the ski is going fast but can not process all the water coming in to the tunnel never happened to me so can't comment
    the second is the over-stuff which happens when you chop the throttle from full speed
    that has happened to me on my fxho, it felt like the back of the ski was lifted up about 6" and the front was pushed into the water immediately turning left, i grabed the throtle again and managed to steer with it and hang on (did get a big spray of freezing cold water though, in the middle of winter)
    i have also had one side of the intake grate break turning me sharp left and i had no chance of hanging on , before i knew what was happening i was hanging off the side with the ski about to tip over so i had to let go was looking at the gps just before i went for a swim and it was on 62mph ,nearly got cleaned up by a mate who was following behind (racing)he just saw a huge splash of water from the ski and had no idea i wasn't even on it till i poped back up from my swim

kev

It sounds like the r&d intake grates seem to be one of the more popular aftermarket grates for these skis...I know for a fact this is the first mod going on my ZR

+1
    vx's do not stuff. They do however tend to split the tunnel in half when you install a sho motor in them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    vx's do not stuff. They do however tend to split the tunnel in half when you install a sho motor in them.

Right on guys, thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information