Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Best bang for the buck SHO?

OK so here's the deal My buddy has an 08 SHO, currently has Riva power filter and exhaust, Riva intake manifold upgrade and a Riva intake grate. Wants to drop $1k in it and keep it reliable but gain some speed. I have not been following the SHO stuff much, so i am looking for input to start studying and make an informed decision. Tell what you would do, what gains and why this is the best choice? I have read some of the threads regarding the rev limiter and ecu's these seem like a next level addition. Thanks for any input

what about a tweaking the rideplate, reflash the ecu...depends on what he do with the ski

Banned User
    +1

wheel

Get a wheel and Ecu and u are good to go

+1
    If your friend gets a new wheel he's gonna be all over the limiter for sure. Then when you add the cost of an impeller and powershot he's over budget

The reflash is cheaper than the three, solves the limiter problem, and supposedly doesn't need a powershot with stock or C1 wheels. Best bang for the buck IMO.

And with the left over $250 I would try and talk him into reinforcing the tunnel.

+1
    ECU reflash + send the stock plate to Jim. Most everyone has gotten 4+mph with the reflash(including me), & then he can expect 2+mph with the plate mod...6+mph for ~$1000 & still very reliable. This will also give him a great platform to build on if he decides he wants to up the boost later on.

Shodude & Duke tested the R2 reflash on his GPR-SHO & it was fine on fuel with the stock SC'er, so he won't need a Powershot. If you go with a higher boost wheel instead of the reflash, it will definately need a Powershot to eliminate the boost limiter & it will be a PITA to get the prop tuned in with the low stock rev limit because these boosted engines will gain/lose 100-200 rpm with a change in weather. He'll also find that the tiny stock intercooler won't be sufficient for the bigger wheels, & that will blow the budget.

The stock prop will probably need to be depitched a bit to get the revs up. You will find a parts list & DIY instructions in this thread to help get more cheap performance out of the stock intercooler to help cope with the extra boost(heat) from the higher rpm:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86251

+1
    So if I go with the R2 flash I have room to grow in the future? The plate was something I was just reading about. I have all the the stuff needed for the cooling mod in the shop what are you repitching to?

+1
    He really needs another grand. R2, C3, Riva FPR and impeller or pump mods. May be over budget. Your buddy will need to borrow an LC-1 unless he can squeak another $250. I believe some are reporting 80+ with this setup on FZ.

R1 and a lower boost wheel may be a bit lower budget and I believe some have gone 78 gps with this setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    So if I go with the R2 flash I have room to grow in the future? The plate was something I was just reading about. I have all the the stuff needed for the cooling mod in the shop what are you repitching to?
    Definately!!!

One thing you might want to add to the cooling kit is the pressure relief setup...a 1/2" Jetworks or Mcmaster valve set for 25psi should work well. If the water goes through the IC too fast it's not going to transfer as much heat away from the core. A high flow strainer also makes a nice bump in cooling with that setup...I've confirmed this with an IAT gauge.

I'm not really sure what to recommend on the pitch, since I've never tested a stage 1 SHO with the reflash. He is most likely already into the rev limiter pretty hard with his current mods, so the revs should be higher with the R2 before doing any repitching. The stock prop measured 12/20 on my Watcon gauge & very similar to a Skat Swirl. I say see how it does & go from there...best guess would be add 1* to the leading edge to help it hook better off the line & take 1*-2* out of the trailing edge to get the revs up. Mine ran 8400 rpm with a 13/23 Skat with an 85mm nozzle ring(stock is 83mm). This was with a C1 SC wheel(10psi @ 8400) & upgraded IC core.

edit: as BPnta mentioned, a reinforcement is a good idea too. We've seen quite a few posts of cracked SHO tunnels. Coco makes one for it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Definately!!!

One thing you might want to add to the cooling kit is the pressure relief setup...a 1/2" Jetworks or Mcmaster valve set for 25psi should work well. If the water goes through the IC too fast it's not going to transfer as much heat away from the core. A high flow strainer also makes a nice bump in cooling with that setup...I've confirmed this with an IAT gauge.

I'm not really sure what to recommend on the pitch, since I've never tested a stage 1 SHO with the reflash. He is most likely already into the rev limiter pretty hard with his current mods, so the revs should be higher with the R2 before doing any repitching. The stock prop measured 12/20 on my Watcon gauge & very similar to a Skat Swirl. I say see how it does & go from there...best guess would be add 1* to the leading edge to help it hook better off the line & take 1*-2* out of the trailing edge to get the revs up. Mine ran 8400 rpm with a 13/23 Skat with an 85mm nozzle ring(stock is 83mm). This was with a C1 SC wheel(10psi @ 8400) & upgraded IC core.

edit: as BPnta mentioned, a reinforcement is a good idea too. We've seen quite a few posts of cracked SHO tunnels. Coco makes one for it.
    Jorge (305coco) and I have a history I know his products quite well I will definitely plan on this mod.

3 x 1800 feeding my obsession sconti stellari's Avatar
    Is the stock wheel any good at 8400 rpm is the question as it may run the same speed at 8000 ???

+2 on the ecu (r2), pump tunnel, rideplate and prop pitch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information