Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melted waterbox

Melted waterbox

Hi All,

So ive put about 7 hours on my freshly full rebuilt motor in my 99 XPL (951cc). It was full rebuild new pistons, crank the hole shabam! Cost me over half of the initial ski price!

Anyway so today taking it easy slowy easing it up to 5,500 rpm and thats as high as im willign to take it at the moment. Ran not to bad but not as well as previous times. Tonight when I got it home and was spraying my after ride lube in the rear compartment I realised it looks like the waterbox has melted around the rave valve....? What the?

Ideas?

Going to call my mechanic on monday but some insight first would be good

Cheers,

Chris

I know it may sound lame but are you sure all those tiny water hoses are on correctly because it sounds like you are not getting any water there to that valve on the waterbox.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +1 you have some water routing issues. either that or your just is clogged and not spraying water in the WB

+1
    There is a "T" fitting on the water intake hose right under the lip of the engine opening on the right side. The big hose goes to the head, the smaller one goes back to the Water Control Valve (not actually a RAVE, though it is the only one that says RAVE-go figure) on the water box.

There should be a smaller hose on that WCV that goes to the Mid-Pipe Sprayer fitting on the pipe (the fitting right next to the front mount).

The odd thing here is that a problem in this area should burn the front coupler long before a heat issue could show up way back at the water box (and even then, the rear coupler would be the more vulnerable material).

I am thinking that perhaps the wrap that goes around the water box is what has melted, rather than the aluminum of the box itself.

Still, it should not be that hot back there so check your line placement and if that is good look for any restrictions, as the gentlemen before me have already pointed out.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    remove that waterbox diaper, once they get wet, they weight about 10 pounds.
    If you still have the resonator, the plastic thing on the left of the hull next to the battery, they tend to leak over time, you can bypass this by buying the 98XPL exhaust hose & thru hull fitting, BTW removing the resonator is a bitch & the waterbox diaper, I had to cut mine, with a saw.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I have an extra diaper for the waterbox if you need it. LMK

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    remove that waterbox diaper, once they get wet, they weight about 10 pounds.
    If you still have the resonator, the plastic thing on the left of the hull next to the battery, they tend to leak over time, you can bypass this by buying the 98XPL exhaust hose & thru hull fitting, BTW removing the resonator is a bitch & the waterbox diaper, I had to cut mine, with a saw.
    Worst part of doing that job I found was removing the water box in the first place. In the end I cut the cover of the waterbox off in situ with a stanley blade and then it came out easy . Cheapest weight saving ever though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kidafa View Post
    Hi All,

. Tonight when I got it home and was spraying my after ride lube in the rear compartment I realised it looks like the waterbox has melted around the rave valve....? What the?

Cheers,

Chris
    Hi Chris when you say "melted" do you mean the black muffler cover or the water pressure regulator has melted to the aluminium water box ?? Post some pictures if you can.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    I have an extra diaper for the waterbox if you need it. LMK
    hah looks like we all dumped the diapers

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncerbeater View Post
    Worst part of doing that job I found was removing the water box in the first place. In the end I cut the cover of the waterbox off in situ with a stanley blade and then it came out easy . Cheapest weight saving ever though.
    your right, there is no need for it, IMO

Hi All,

Thanks for the response.

Ill admit I had very minimal time to check out what has happened yesterday before I put the ski into storage due to a birthday I had to get to.....

Ok so thats a plastic cover on the waterbox? I though it was made of some hardened plastic, but is it actually metal under it like my mates 98xpl? His doesnt have a cover on it?

I will go get some photos after work today.

I checked the front coupler and it was fine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information