+1

torquing sc impeller nut!!

Hi fellows!!

Got a question about torquing the nut on impeller side of supercharger. We all know this nut has a left hand tread and can't find a torque wrench that also torque on the left side.

Here is what I want to try, tell me if it will works:

1-torque nut on clutch side to 22 ft/lbs. (the normal way using shaft holder tool)
    2-then hold that same nut (clutch side) with a regular wrench.
    3-tighten the nut on impeller side with a regular rachet (reverse way) while still holding the nut on clutch side until it began to get loose (meaning the nut on inpeller side will be at 22 ft/lbs)
    4-retorque the nut on clutch side to specs.

technicaly both nuts should be at 22 ft/lbs.

Does my plan will work??

Thanks..

+1
    Most torque wrenches have the forward and reverse lever,they are not unique, it will torque in both directions. I wouldn't trust your proposed plan, you are just setting yourself up for your wheel to come loose.

Banned User
    I agree I would weigh your options at this point, Supercharger coming apart=couple hundred dollars vs. Craftsman Torque wrench=maybe hundred bucks. Ok i think u know the answer to this one!

+1
    buy the right tools for the job or send it to jerry.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Most torque wrenches have the forward and reverse lever,they are not unique, it will torque in both directions. I wouldn't trust your proposed plan, you are just setting yourself up for your wheel to come loose.
    I broke my wrench yesterday trying it. I agree that they all have a reverse but it does not mean they will mesure torque on the reverse way. I was looking on the web and looks like the only one working both ways are the digital ones. I'll try to find a local garage that will let me use theirs for a second.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pass1 View Post
    I broke my wrench yesterday trying it. I agree that they all have a reverse but it does not mean they will mesure torque on the reverse way. I was looking on the web and looks like the only one working both ways are the digital ones. I'll try to find a local garage that will let me use theirs for a second.
    It can be done with a one way torque wrench.
    Tighten the bolt ,and use the wrench the normal way.
    You have to tighten the bolt by feeling.
    You check the torque the normal way,but take it easy.
    By using the torque wrench you will loosen the bolt.
    But if you have the right torque on the bolt it will click before it loosens.
    It's a bit more work ,and may take a couple of tries,but works fine i have done several superchargers this way.
    You can set torque up to 30 ft/lb ( 40 nm ),this is more as spec,but prevents slipping of the impeller ,this way you have the best performance.
    Not on the clutch side !!!!! This is only for impeller side!!!!!!!
    Even better is to put some loctite on the shaft before installing the impeller,some extra safety to keep the impeller from slipping.

+1
    Be careful as the sc shaft is two pieces pressed together and if you twist it the oil hole for the gear will be misaligned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Be careful as the sc shaft is two pieces pressed together and if you twist it the oil hole for the gear will be misaligned.
    That's right,be careful.
    I always spray some oil in the centerhole in the shaft,and watch if it comes out at the toothgear.
    If not,oilhole is shifted and blocked.
    And your clutchwashers and gear will not be oiled ,leading to supercharger failure.
    You won't have this problem on the impellerside ,because you can't twist the outershaft from this side.
    So no problem !

+1
    Thanks guy's!!

Finally ended up going to my local garage and they handed me their torque wrench. It was a needele type (not the most precise, I prefer a click type) but anyhow I was able to set torque at 25 ft/lbs.
    Supercharger is now installed un my gtx along with 42# injectors and it fired like a champ . Just impatient now to get that in the water next week-ent for testing.
    The clutch slip was tested at 8.5 ft/lbs or 100 in/lbs. Is that good or sould I go with macmasters and shims??
    By the way this is a stock x charger with 16h.
    Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pass1 View Post
    Thanks guy's!!

Finally ended up going to my local garage and they handed me their torque wrench. It was a needele type (not the most precise, I prefer a click type) but anyhow I was able to set torque at 25 ft/lbs.
    Supercharger is now installed un my gtx along with 42# injectors and it fired like a champ . Just impatient now to get that in the water next week-ent for testing.
    The clutch slip was tested at 8.5 ft/lbs or 100 in/lbs. Is that good or sould I go with macmasters and shims??
    By the way this is a stock x charger with 16h.
    Thanks.
    a little on the low side. I would go with the mc masters and shoot for around 11ft/lbs with your X charger

Thread Information