Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Fogging oil ruined my plugs and my day

Havent had much time to ride so about 4-6 months ago decided to fog over the engine, sprayed it down the cylinder holes after i took plugs out turned it over few times and put plugs back in..

Sat around for awhile and finally went on the water today...ran great for about 2 mintues and died on me. had to keep cranking it to get it to shore

Pulled plugs out and they we soaking wet,covered in fogging oil(smelled like it)wiped them off is all i could do at the moment..turned motor over few times to get as much as i could out..put everything back together and it fired alot better but still idled like crap and then shut off...

Packed up and came home and it wouldnt even crank at all to flush..im sure my plugs were so saturated in fogging oil that the plugs were shot...theres only around 32 hours on plugs(46hours on my ski) ...ive changed them out once so far...hopefully buying new plugs, keeping the boots off and letting it dry down in the cylinders wall help my problem...this was the first and LAST time i will ever fog over my engine...

Any input or am i on the right track? Thank you
    Rob

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Yea! you need to change the plugs AFTER you un-winetrize it,not go to the lake and un-winterized it.change the plugs

+1
    After winterising,pull the plugs,start in drowning mode (full throttle).
    This way most of the foggingoil comes out of the sparkplugholes.
    Then change sparkplugs,and run the engine on the normal way.

You're supposed to fog the engine by pulling the injectors, spraying in the injector ports, putting them back in and running it for a minute or so. This disperses the oil throughout the engine and fogs everything. You made it way too rich with the oil and not running it after fogging.

+1
    i run it on the hose till it burns the oil out then change the plugs.
    Also every 25hr im going to....

change plugs
    change oil/ filter
    check sc slip
    & change pump oil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crueldude View Post
    You're supposed to fog the engine by pulling the injectors, spraying in the injector ports, putting them back in and running it for a minute or so. This disperses the oil throughout the engine and fogs everything. You made it way too rich with the oil and not running it after fogging.
    Exactly...as stated in the manual...fog thru the injector ports.

+1
    yea i fog the engine in fall. Come every spring i start it up a few times on the hose to make sure everything is ok, then I change the plugs to new ones. For the $10 just replace them every year, I buy them a box of 10 at a time.

+1
    maybe thats where i screwed up..i didnt spray it down injector holes
    did it down spark plug holes and saturated the plugs.....I didnt screw anything up did I????

I bought new plugs and gotta start it up on the hose tomorrow..hopefully it will run

+1
    You could just clean your old plugs. They will work fine after that

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Yaa View Post
    maybe thats where i screwed up..i didnt spray it down injector holes
    did it down spark plug holes and saturated the plugs.....I didnt screw anything up did I????

I bought new plugs and gotta start it up on the hose tomorrow..hopefully it will run
    First of all you did the right thing by fogging your motor because it was going to sit for a while, you probably saved yourself alot of money in motor work by doing so.
    Second It does not matter if you fog through the spark plug holes or the injector holes just make sure you are drenching the pistons/rings/valves these are some of the parts you are trying to protect because they can possibly be exposed to air and hense rust will start to form.
    Third before you put your ski in the water you better make sure you start it up at home on the hose after its been fogged down to make sure you don't have any issues out on the water like you did.

It is far cheaper to replace spark plugs that motor parts that have not been properly protected, you should not complain about this just think, it could have been worse and then you would really have something to cry about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information