Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

c.d.i. or stator?

ok so i have a 2001 polaris slh 700cc twin cylinder etc... last year it was acting like it would hit the rev limiter really low... not even enough throttle to plane out. then the electrical box started smoking and the board looked like it had started burning up right at a fuse (idk what it's for i can take pics if needed) i took it to the shop to get diagnosed and they told me that they could not get it to turn over but once and then the electrical board was smoking...... i've got a new one ordered but in my research i found that there problems from the earlier stators limiting the engine rpm... i know this ski has been jumped off a good bit. and just wanted an opinion from someone with a little more experience than me.. sorry for the long post. any help is greatly appreciated

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, your 2001 SLH 700 would already have the Gen III ignition system.

Smoking electrical board sounds like something shorted. If the board itself is burned, then you need to get a replacement. You may also need to replace the Reset button circuit breaker.

Examine every wire in the electrical box, looking for any signs of burning, melting, or exposed wire from damaged wire insulation.

Also look carefully at the cable bundle going to the stator from the electrical box. Look for physical damage to the cable, or signs of heat damage.

You can use the diagnostic info below to ohm check the stator coils and Hall Effect sensors.

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?

Once you have a good terminal board, and all wires pass inspection, and the stator checks out, you can re-connect your CDI. If the engine doesn't run, check for 8 volts on the Brown wire, per the diagnostics.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    what is the condition of the board? I had to replace one because the terminals were falling off the board (causing shorts).

Try the new board, see if that does the trick, then go from there. You could also remove the wires from the fuse terminals and put an in-line fuse in to isolate it from the board, that way you could at least make sure its the only problem before the new board comes in

thanks for the help i don't have a way to test it yet. but i might take the meter home from work tomorrow. i did however attempt to crank it. when i hooked up the battery it sounds like something tries to cut on but then clicks and trips the circuit but, if i hold the start button down it will turn over for 3-5 seconds but not fire before it trips... i looked at the wires and they seemed fine but i didn't strip back any of the plastis coating on the set coming from the stator i attached a pic of where the board is burning. its the red/purp. what does the go to??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slh board.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	180685  

+1
    Something is not right.

The circuit breaker tripping means you have a short somewhere. The burning board just confirms it.

Can you post a clearer photo of the burned area, both top and bottom of the board?

That terminal board is junk now, I suspect. But something else is shorted, and that needs to be fixed before you install a new board.

And post the pictures at full resolution, not downsized to 640x480

sorry about the pic i took it with a cheap camera phone. i just ran outside and tried to take more pics but the flash on the phone is too bright and a flashlight is too dark. sorry. but i did find something else. the red/purp wire that was connected to the burned part of the board leads back out to another place along with a yellow wire glowed red right before it tripped and i'm guessing thats whats causing it to trip. also it trips pretty quick but takes longer if i hold the start button down and attempt to crank it. any ideas on where to start tomorrow? go ahead and take the board out of the box? sorry if i repeated some info just want to make sure i cover everything

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshk5145 View Post
    ...the red/purple wire that was connected to the burned part of the board leads back out to another place along with a yellow wire glowed red right before it tripped and I'm guessing that's whats causing it to trip...
    Glowing wires is never a good thing

Disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected until we/you figure out what is shorted. You will be using a multi-meter to find the short.

Which Yellow wire, exactly, was glowing?

Show us clear pictures. Use close-up mode on the camera

My guess is that the LR module may have shorted, or there is a problem with the wiring related to the LR module.

not completely sure if it is the red/purp wire or yellow. it was covered by something. I'll def get better pics tomorrow. so what exactly is the LH module? sorry i'm a newB to jet ski's If it was a honda car motor it'd be a diff story lol

quick update,
    i disconnected the plug from the stator and attempted testing the wires.
    on the purple and black wire i got o/infinite. on all other wires in the plug i didn't even get a budge on the meter..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information