Ignition update and the e-box to battery ground wire

I threw in a spare updated kit on the SL1050 while i had it apart. I threw a battery back in it last night in preparation for a quick spin on the lake today.

I didn't cut that ground wire - I was just going to tape it off and tie it inside the hull. But when I hooked up the battery without it yesterday, no spark. Hook up the ground wire and she fired right up.

So what's the deal with that ground wire? The update paperwork says to disconnect it to help extend the life of the stator. Did I miss a jumper or something that should be giving me ground? What exactly is the danger to the stator by leaving the ground in there?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Remove the thin ground wire, and disconnect the battery positive cable.

Then use a meter to confirm zero ohms between the electrical box black wires, and the engine block. The Update kit is supposed to ground the electrical box through the black wire that goes to the new stator, and is grounded to the engine through one of the stator mounting bolts.

When you installed the update stator, did you ensure clean metal to metal contact between the stator, the bolts, and the engine block?

There are several reasons for the removal of the small battery ground wire. One is that if the heavy battery negative cable develops a problem at either the battery or engine block ends, all the power for the starter motor will go through the thin wire instead. That will of course burn out the small wire, and possibly other things inside the electrical box.

Another reason is that the stator black wire is supposed to provide the return path for the spark ignition pulses. Yes, the spark voltage does go through the black ground wiring, to get back to the ignition coils.

Without a proper stator ground, that spark voltage/current is forced to go out to the battery post, then back along that small black wire to get to the electrical box. This is not the intended method of operation, of course.

There are some other smaller reasons, but you get the idea.

Check that stator ground wire, with the small battery black wire isolated. Find out why the stator ground to the engine is not working, and fix it.

Perfect.

447, as usual you are 100% correct... Its nice to see you assisiting the group!!

Regards,
    Randy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcon View Post
    447, as usual you are 100% correct...

Its nice to see you assisting the group!!

Regards,
    Randy
    Aw, shucks...

Thanks Randy!

Thread Information