What is the best portable fish finder for under 150?

Looking for a relatively cheap portable fish finder. The one you throw the sonar sensor in the water for going slow speeds. I have seen a couple for like 30-50 on ebay (no name brands) that go up to 100 feet. Are these any good?

I have never had any type of experience with those ones you just throw in the water. I do know that the Humminbird that cost around $100 worked and still work great on my dads boat, but it is a stationary transducer. I also have heard bad reviews of the small blue toss in the water one that costs around $30, have to have pretty much motionless water to get it to work.

I personally just bought the Humminbird 385ci Kayak Portable to use on the Jet ski. I got West Marine to match Gander's Web promo price of $399, but it is also a GPS.

+1
    I just ordered the same unit but the standard one. I'm going to mount it on my ski........we do alot of touring and would be nice to know whats around you.

Do they offer a through-hull transducer for that one?

+1
    Well at the humminbird website it says it can be mounted either way. I've done some reading on installing these and the lowrance M68C is similar in the transducer. You will lose some depth though going through the hull.

humming bird

I've used the humming bird one that I got from Bass Pro Shop as a gift. It has a loop on the top that I tied to some fishing line, I would toss it over board when I got to my spot and check for fish and depth. Worked pretty good in the ocean, just off the shore and worked great in the river.

For the price, it's nice. It came with a wrist watch that has the display on it.

Quote Originally Posted by flash 800 View Post
    Well at the humminbird website it says it can be mounted either way. I've done some reading on installing these and the lowrance M68C is similar in the transducer. You will lose some depth though going through the hull.
    flash 800 your absolutely right. After deciding for 3 hours where to mount my humminbird 350ci I decided to order the mounting to do it on the outside. I still didnt want to drill holes in the ski as the value drops, so the mount was $10 for the bracket and $10 for shipping. I just put it on the back with some removeable epoxy. The wiring runs straight up and then under my pvc basket and then under the seat, so you don't really see it. Hoping it holds on now goin 50mph.

I am still having trouble with trying to mount the display. Brian if you could give any advice on how you attached yours. I don't have the stainless bar as you do. Looking to mount it to back of molding that wraps the steering bar, but afraid the plastic will break out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cowthief View Post
    flash 800 your absolutely right. After deciding for 3 hours where to mount my humminbird 350ci I decided to order the mounting to do it on the outside. I still didnt want to drill holes in the ski as the value drops, so the mount was $10 for the bracket and $10 for shipping. I just put it on the back with some removeable epoxy. The wiring runs straight up and then under my pvc basket and then under the seat, so you don't really see it. Hoping it holds on now goin 50mph.

I am still having trouble with trying to mount the display. Brian if you could give any advice on how you attached yours. I don't have the stainless bar as you do. Looking to mount it to back of molding that wraps the steering bar, but afraid the plastic will break out.
    Post up some pix of your rig & rack... Maybe easier for us to visualize your setup and give you some options.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cowthief View Post

Cool, so you mounted the transducer to the back? What was the epoxy for? did you use that instead of using screws? I'm trying to figure out where to mount the display as well. It will probably go right down in front of me, on mine there is a storage box with a lid (obviously) and I was thinking of mounting it to the lid. The handlebar area would be nice but my display is 4 inches in depth so not very practical.

Thread Information