Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gp1200r engine boging down during accerlation and hard to start!!!! help!

its a 2000 gpr1200 i bought with 305 hours on it. i rode it for two hours and it ran fine but it bogs while going from zero to 30 after thirty if i gas it, it responds like it should. i changed the spark plugs. what other things could be the problem??????????????

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jankyxl800 View Post
    its a 2000 gpr1200 i bought with 305 hours on it. i rode it for two hours and it ran fine but it bogs while going from zero to 30 after thirty if i gas it, it responds like it should. i changed the spark plugs. what other things could be the problem??????????????
    Welcome to the forum
    sounds like a power valve motor
    does the cable/valves move or cycle if you just bump the starter??
    if yes ,put some zip ties around the collers between the cyclinders and take it for a blast with the seat off ,looking to see if they rotate..
    BUT to make shure you dont chase your tail ,a compression test and some pics of the plugs would help too..
    welcome aboard
    matt

i did not hear the power valve servo move what so ever. i had an xl800 last year and i heard it all the time. can the power valve system be take off????

But i will check first thing tomorrow to make sure of that. is there anything else that it can be. The engine compression seems fine i ran it for about 2 hours beating on it and it had good power apart for the bog form low to 30. if i was at 30 and gas it i would get a quick response from the engine, but if i was going 5 mph and gased it, it would bog down and then get going.

+1
    Welcome to GH.

If its a pv problem, get some waveater clips if you dont have any, while your fixing the problem.

You can replace the mechanical pv's to gas valves. They are pricey but work great.

can i just take that system off and leave the engine without power valves? what else can i check for that can be giving me this problem

when you turn your motor off you should hear the powervalves cycle back and forth. You would hear it (and see couplers moving). If nothing, try and new powervalve servomotor. People sell them here all the time.

i f your powervalve motor isn;t working, the powervalves are not moving at all. You can get away with this and it shouldnt hurt anything, but you have really bad low end. You can not take the powervalves out though.

cant i move the power valves to a position where its working good and leave it there? the power valves work with the idle too?

the problem is as follows it a little difficult to start in cold once started and warm to start is easy. engine hot or cold it bogs from the low to high. the top speed on the speedo is showing goes anywhere between 54 and 58 mph. A stock GP760 it keeping up with me for a bit then i start taking off on it little by little.

so im missing some high end speed varies from 54 to 58 , my low to high bogs, and some trouble starting on cold.

So far I have to check the power valve servo to see if it moves.

anything else you guys might think is leading to this???????????

sounds like it may be time to rebuild the carbs, contact osidebill, he is the carb king

Yeah I'm suprised no one said anything about the carbs. Make sure the PV's are cycling and if they arent you may need a servo motor. Also go through the carbs and rebuild if needed. Also check fuel lines and make sure they are not dirty/clogged. If you choke out and it runs better than its your lines..

Pv system is working checked it out this afternoon. the carbs seem hard to get out! is there and easy way? or a step by step on how to do it? the exhaust is in the way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information